Council Tax Exemption Form / SMI

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Everybody , Today have just printed out the above form** ( on my Carer's Mother's behalf for my Father who from July has had backdated A A ) Yesterday was trying too encourage Mum too claim exemption & she said she would talk too our Support Worker next week ! Which in my view seemed a bit what ever So checked with the C Tax Department today & printed out the form Question please = As yet Mother does not have LPA ( in the pipeline & yes I know it should have been done much sooner ! ) Question is it asks for the signature of both the Tax Payer & Applicant ( & I think I know the answer ) that means my Mother is both the Tax Payer & Applicant ? Am just checking am right as I am going too make a useful advice page for Mother when she fills out the form (that she can refer too)

Thank you for your help & just too add the member of Staff I spoke too was very helpful & understanding :) & she even said I could phone back if I had problems finding the form on the Web Page Good too know there are some caring Staff at the Council Office !

Grove x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well you'll get it backdated to the date of diagnosis so one way or another you will get the money. The "Council Tax Exemption Form / SMI" doesn't tell you anything as there are links to many different council websites and no doubt they all do things differently.
Likewise "Mother is both the Tax Payer & Applicant" if the bill is in her name then she signs both, if the bill is in your dad's name then personally I'd fill the form in and where it asks for the bill payers signature I'd put "unable to sign due to their SMI".
I filled the form in on line, they e-mailed me back asking for proof I took a picture of the diagnosis letter and the DLA award letter, e-mailed it back to them and got the next 9 month council tax free and a cheque for nearly £400, although they did say I could have a cheque for the whole amount if I wanted.
K

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thank You

Well you'll get it backdated to the date of diagnosis so one way or another you will get the money. The "Council Tax Exemption Form / SMI" doesn't tell you anything as there are links to many different council websites and no doubt they all do things differently.
Likewise "Mother is both the Tax Payer & Applicant" if the bill is in her name then she signs both, if the bill is in your dad's name then personally I'd fill the form in and where it asks for the bill payers signature I'd put "unable to sign due to their SMI".
I filled the form in on line, they e-mailed me back asking for proof I took a picture of the diagnosis letter and the DLA award letter, e-mailed it back to them and got the next 9 month council tax free and a cheque for nearly £400, although they did say I could have a cheque for the whole amount if I wanted.
K

Kevni for your helpful reply & you have reassured me who signs what & as far as I am aware ? The Bill is still in Dad's name how ever it might be the case that my Father is still able too sign his name**(guess that bridge will be crossed when Mum fills the form out** )

Pleased for you that you had a good result :) & thanks once again for your helpful reply

Grove x x