Council Tax Exemption For Carer's Empty Home

Utrinque

Sep 24, 2020
Earlier this year I moved in with my Dad and became his carer. He has recently been awarded Attendance Allowance at the higher rate and I am in the process of applying for Carer's Allowance.

I recently applied for a Council Tax (Class J) exemption for my own home, which is unoccupied because of my carer responsibilities. Hopefully the council will approve and backdate my exemption.

I am wondering how long the Council will allow the exemption to run. I have read that CT exemptions are usually allowed to run for 2 years, after which the Council may start charging again - often at a higher (punitive) rate. I appreciate 2 years is a long time, but I like to be prepared. I would like to return to live in my own home eventually and I don't wish to sell or let it. Does anyone here have experience of obtaining a carer's Council Tax exemption for their home - and it lasting beyond 2 years? Thanks.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Utrinque
I would check this with your Council ... that's quite some time to leave a property empty, do also check about appropriate house insurance and whether the insurer will require you to regularly visit the property ... same with utility providers ... and turn off the water, one member has recently posted about a water leak causing substantial damage, thank goodness they were fully insured

Utrinque

Sep 24, 2020
Thanks Shedrech.

The property is still furnished (which is permissible for a Class J exemption) and I still visit every few weeks. 'Unoccupied' for Council tax purposes means 'there is no-one living at the property as an only or main home'. The property is now insured as a 'holiday home', which means it can be left without an occupant for up to 60 days. It is covered by video cameras, inside and out, so I can (remotely) check on it daily.

Yesterday, I received notice from the council that the exemption has been granted (and backdated to earlier this year), so I would encourage anyone who believes they are entitled to a CT discount or exemption to apply for one.

I'll see what gives when the 2 years expires (assuming I am still a carer then). If the exemption does lapse after 2 years, then the worst that can happen is that, under the law, I will have to 'reoccupy' (i.e. pay CT on) the property for no less than 6 weeks, after which I could reapply for the exemption.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976