Council Tax Discount

Draggie

Jun 26, 2015
Could someone tell me please the time the discount should be required from? The date of the application or the date of the Attendance Allowance award? Thanks.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I believe it should be back dated to either attendance allowance award or even date of diagnosis, but not 100% sure. No doubt someone else will know more. Suggest you contact Age Concern or Alzheimer's Society, I'm sure they will advise you.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Draggie

Jun 26, 2015
council Tax

I believe it should be back dated to either attendance allowance award or even date of diagnosis, but not 100% sure. No doubt someone else will know more. Suggest you contact Age Concern or Alzheimer's Society, I'm sure they will advise you.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Thank you very much. Will do some further investigation.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Could someone tell me please the time the discount should be required from? The date of the application or the date of the Attendance Allowance award? Thanks.

Hi

Are you thinking about carer or severe mental impairment status discount?

I do not know how many people are in your household and that is considered when looking at your application, so what I've written below is assuming there are sufficient people disregarded to allow a discount to be paid.

Carer status discount would be awarded from the date higher rate attendance allowance was paid.

Severe mental impairment status discount requires two things to be in place, firstly a relevant benefit like attendance allowance and secondly a certificate completed by the GP or consultant of the person for whom the application is being made.

The certificate asks the GP or consultant to state a date from which the individual should be considered to be severely mentally impaired.

Status discount is awarded from the date both the criteria have been met eg if the GP stated X was severely mentally impaired from 1st January 2015, but attendance allowance was not paid until 1st April 2015 the discount would start from 1st April 2015 as it was the first date on which both criteria were met.

Hope this helps.

Lavender45

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That's probably how it should be but the doctor can put any date he likes on the form and if the council tax people don't check the date AA was awarded from, they are likely to take the GPs word for gospel. After all, they don't ask for the AA date on the form. We got ours backdated more than three years.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
That's probably how it should be but the doctor can put any date he likes on the form and if the council tax people don't check the date AA was awarded from, they are likely to take the GPs word for gospel. After all, they don't ask for the AA date on the form. We got ours backdated more than three years.

Ours was backdated to 2007 - the date the consultant wrote to the GP - and I kept a copy of the letter. It was all done very quickly, and the money paid into our bank account in a couple of weeks. xxx

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Ours was backdated to 2007 - the date the consultant wrote to the GP - and I kept a copy of the letter. It was all done very quickly, and the money paid into our bank account in a couple of weeks. xxx

Does the gp have to sign the form too and back date that or is the letter ok? I need to get consultants letter off mum and say if she needs to see dads gp for signature.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I got the discount backdated to the date of diagnosis, the date on a letter the consultant sent to out GP saying specifically my wife had AZ.
I filled in the form and a few weeks later I got a letter saying it was sorted.
The form said they may contact her GP but I've no idea if they did or not.
I did it on line, I just had to supply a copy of the consultant's letter and the DLA and Mobility Allowance award letter and they did the rest.
K

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Does the gp have to sign the form too and back date that or is the letter ok? I need to get consultants letter off mum and say if she needs to see dads gp for signature.

Well what I did was write to the GP, (I delivered the letter to the receptionist) asking if he would kindly sign the form, and saying that I enclosed a copy of the letter from the consultant which gave the date of diagnosis - I didn't want to leave anything to chance. :)

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Thank you all, thanks Scarlett . Mum is going to see if has that diagnosis letter if not will request copy from gp receptionist (sm surgery ) then il go from there.
Fingers crossed !