Council Tax Discount for people over 65 with Dementia

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
I got the discount for my father without any real difficulty. I had been of the view that his mental impairment was too mild to count as a "severe mental impairment" but decided to enquire of his GP whether he was willing to certify "SMI". The GP was willing and although it took a few weeks I was successful and my father received a refund of council tax paid since diagnosis. So I think this was worth a try.
Dear MartinWL, Presumably your father is receiving Attendance Allowance. The "severe" element of SMI is often at the discretion of the GP. 127 of the 382 UK councils backdate to the date of GP certification. You are one of the lucky ones.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Watch out for the documentary "Inside the Care Crisis with Ed Balls" on BBC 2 at 9:00pm on Monday 8th and Monday 15th November.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
You may be interested to watch the second part of the documentary " Inside the Care Crisis with Ed Balls" which was on BBC2 at 9:00pm on the 15th November, covering the services provided to people with Dementia in their homes. Plus it includes the internet site https://www.dementiaguidance.co.uk

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
By 2025 with the new Voice over Internet Protocol Telephones. If anyone, Vulnerable or not, has a power cut, none of their house phones will work and without a charged mobile phone with both credit and a signal, they will be unable to contact any emergency services. Ask your MP.​

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
If you live in a house with one other person who has #Dementia you may be losing out on up to £2,600 of Council Tax Discount (SMI Disregard). You should ask your MP​

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Thank you to all the people who signed my petition to rectify the present laws regarding Council Tax Discount for people with Dementia. Both the first and the second petitions have not reached the required number of signatures for the subject to be raised in parliament.​

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
People over pensionable age with Dementia may qualify for Attendance Allowance of either £89.60 (Day and Night Time Attendance) per week or £60.00 (Day or Night Time Attendance) per week, rising to £92.40 and £61.85 in April 2022. No Means Testing. See https://www.dementiaguidance.co.uk​

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynt68