Council Tax Discount for people over 65 with Dementia

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
From memory when the Psychiatrist signed/ stamped a letter/ the form for council tax reduction.
If that was the case, the council are only one of 99 in England that start Council Tax Discount from the date of GP/Psychiatrist certification. Most start from the date of receipt of Attendance Allowance which can be years later.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
The petition story is scheduled to be on again on Sunday 1st August on GB News This Week between 4:00pm and 6:00pm.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Hello All

It is now just over 4 weeks until the petition closes on Thursday the 9th September at 17:29.

Presently we have 2,200 signatures.

Thank you for all your help and I would like to ask, if you feel there is any way you could help boost the figures in a final push before the deadline I would be very grateful.

Either by promoting the direct link to the petition on https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/572993
Or by advertising the internet site https://dementiaguidance.co.uk which contains the link to the petition and perhaps offers some guidance to those coping with dementia.

Kindest regards,

Derek Brown

PatRayH

Aug 16, 2021
Mums local council will only cut it by 50% ...but the MP's can put all their Council Tax on expenses.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Mums local council will only cut it by 50% ...but the MP's can put all their Council Tax on expenses.
SMI is a disregard for the person concerned ie they don't exist for council tax purpose and occupancy is reduced by one
Occupancy 3 > occupancy 2 >No discount
Occupancy 2 > sole occupancy >25% discount
Occupancy 1 > zero occupancy >100% discount (in this case)

There are different rule for reductions because of a disability.

Last edited:

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
SMI is a disregard for the person concerned ie they don't exist for council tax purpose and occupancy is reduced by one
Occupancy 3 > occupancy 2 >No discount
Occupancy 2 > sole occupancy >25% discount
Occupancy 1 > zero occupancy >100% discount (in this case)

There are different rule for reductions because of a disability.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
There are two sets of rules that council can apply. The disregard rules according to the Council Tax (Discount Disregards) Order 1992 which I understand has been or is in the process of being superceded which used to say that a person living alone should receive 100% discount, I understand this is changing? to 50%. Also there is the Class U discount rules which state that if the person is receiving Attendance Allowance and has GP certification they are entitled to 100% discount. Essentially they are the same for people with SMI but councils can play tunes on them. Therefore the need to change the (5) associated laws as my petition.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I got the discount for my father without any real difficulty. I had been of the view that his mental impairment was too mild to count as a "severe mental impairment" but decided to enquire of his GP whether he was willing to certify "SMI". The GP was willing and although it took a few weeks I was successful and my father received a refund of council tax paid since diagnosis. So I think this was worth a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513