Council Tax Discount for people over 65 with Dementia

bb59

Jan 2, 2021
Just submitted a claim for my mum, who comes under Blackpool Council. Claim is made online and the Council require the submission of evidence that a qualifying benefit is being paid, in my mums case, Attendance Allowance. They specifically ask for the date that the benefit was payable from. The Council then write directly to the GP for confirmation of SMI. I'll let you know how I get on.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Just submitted a claim for my mum, who comes under Blackpool Council. Claim is made online and the Council require the submission of evidence that a qualifying benefit is being paid, in my mums case, Attendance Allowance. They specifically ask for the date that the benefit was payable from. The Council then write directly to the GP for confirmation of SMI. I'll let you know how I get on.
Hi bb49 The reason is that as far as I am aware Blackpool Council's policy is to start the council tax discount from the date that both the GP certification and recipt of Attendance Allowance apply. If the two dates are close together then there is no problem but if there was a long time (maximum of 6 years) between the two dates that raises the issue of my petition. Good luck.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Hi bb49 The reason is that as far as I am aware Blackpool Council's policy is to start the council tax discount from the date that both the GP certification and recipt of Attendance Allowance apply. If the two dates are close together then there is no problem but if there was a long time (maximum of 6 years) between the two dates that raises the issue of my petition. Good luck.
Sorry bb59 I said you were bb49

bb59

Jan 2, 2021
Sorry bb59 I said you were bb49
:) no problem Browny. Not heard anything yet. Attendance Allowance paid from November 2020 so only about 6 months between then and the date of the GP certification (should that be forthcoming).

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Hi bb59 Generally after filling in the date your Mum first had SMI and signing the Council Tax Discount form the GP sends the form/confirmation directly back to the Council. If you want to see the date the GP put on the form as the date your Mum first had SMI you may be able to ask the admin at the GP surgery for a copy of what they sent to the council. The date the GP fills in the form is not significant, it is the date he puts on the form/confirmation that he certifies your Mum first had SMI. That is the date I believe Council Tax discount should start

bb59

Jan 2, 2021
Hi bb59 Generally after filling in the date your Mum first had SMI and signing the Council Tax Discount form the GP sends the form/confirmation directly back to the Council. If you want to see the date the GP put on the form as the date your Mum first had SMI you may be able to ask the admin at the GP surgery for a copy of what they sent to the council. The date the GP fills in the form is not significant, it is the date he puts on the form/confirmation that he certifies your Mum first had SMI. That is the date I believe Council Tax discount should start
Thank you Browny. Some good news - Blackpool Council have written to confirm Council Tax Exemption for my mum effective from 20 April 2021, which was the date that the Memory Assessment Clinic diagnosed vascular dementia.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Thank you Browny. Some good news - Blackpool Council have written to confirm Council Tax Exemption for my mum effective from 20 April 2021, which was the date that the Memory Assessment Clinic diagnosed vascular dementia.
That's brilliant, I attached my Wife's, memory clinic assessment and the later Alzheimer's brain scan diagnosis to the Council Tax Discount Application form and our council ignored them both.

catharguy

Jun 19, 2021
I have signed too, we only got it after our G.P. refused to sign it, and the Consultant Psychiatrist did.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
I have signed too, we only got it after our G.P. refused to sign it, and the Consultant Psychiatrist did.
Did the GP say why he wouldn't sign it? Did the council tax discount start from the date of receipt of Attendance Allowance, or the date the Consultant Psychiatrist certified they had SMI?