council tax and utilities

ancistrus

Nov 15, 2020
Hello,

My mum will be moving into care next week so my dad will remain on his own in a flat.
The utilities are all in my mum's name.
I have a financial poa.
What is the best way of changing the name on all the utilities?
Also would my dad be entitled to a council tax reduction?

Regards

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Yes your Dad would be able to get reduced rate being a single person in the property.
although it was a few years ago I had no problem moving utility bills into my name when my partner died. Is your Dad able to contact them himself or would he with a little support from yourself? I think generally the utilities do not really care providing they know who is responsible for paying their bills.
I would just ring and explain the situation.

ancistrus

Nov 15, 2020
Hello again,

I was wondering whatbpeople do when a loved one goes into a care home. Have you changed all the utilities in your name? What would you suggest is done if the bilks were being paud from the loved one's account?
I guess if one da y money runs out ss could argue that assets have been deliberately deprived if bills are still in the name of the person who has gone into care?

Thoughts appreciated.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I was wondering whatbpeople do when a loved one goes into a care home. Have you changed all the utilities in your name? What would you suggest is done if the bilks were being paud from the loved one's account? I guess if one da y money runs out ss could argue that assets have been deliberately deprived if bills are still in the name of the person who has gone into care?

From your first it seemed as though it was a case of transferring the utility bills into your dad's name as he is remaining in the property? If that is the case then you don't need to change them to your name, especially as you are not living at the address. If your parents have separate bank accounts then you will need to stop the direct debits from your mum's account and set them up from your dad's account. As it will be your dad who will be paying the utility bills (not your mum) then deprivation of assets doesn't apply and it is best to keep your parents bank accounts separate so that the local authority can see exactly how much money your mum has - the financial assessment applies to her money only, not your dad's. Call the utilities companies to explain the position and it should be fairly straightforward to change the bills into your dad's name.

ancistrus

Nov 15, 2020
ok thanks.

can i ask you how many years worth of bank statements do the local authorities look at when assessing finances?

also what do you suggest my dad does wirh the ground rent fees and management fees for my mum's flat? should these be in his name oe should they stay in my mum's name as the flat is hers?

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
can i ask you how many years worth of bank statements do the local authorities look at when assessing finances?

When we had a financial assessment SS looked at the last six months of bank statements, but the financial assessor said that they had powers to go back in unlimited time if foul play and deprivation of assets were suspected.

What is happening to your mums flat?
Is it empty, or is your dad living in it?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @ancistrus
if there is one flat and your dad is now living there alone, I suggest you, as her Attorney, contact utility companies etc to end the contract in your mum's name and then your dad can open contracts in his name just as though it was someone new moving in ... the companies may ask for sight of your LPA document, don't send the original make sure you send only a certified copy .... as your mum no longer lives there, she should not pay for something that is no benefit to her ... as long as your dad lives there, the property will be disregarded in any financial assessment by the Local Authority, so there's no question of it having to be sold to pay her care fees

it may be a good time to compare charges and get a good deal for your dad

if the flat is owned by your mum alone, it may be that the ground rent is considered as part of the ongoing/maintenance costs of the property to be paid by the owner, but still let the landlord know that you are now managing finances so will pay on your mum's behalf ..... maybe your dad could recompense your mum as he's living there .... the management fees, maybe do the same, a bit trickier as some of some of the fee goes towards maintenance, which benefits the property owner, and having staff on hand if it's eg warden monitored, which benefits your dad

if there are 2 flats, so your mum's is now empty and your dad is living in his, then everything can stay in your mum's name but you as Attorney contact all companies to let them know you are managing on your mum's behalf ... let the insurer know the property is empty and follow any instructions they give, to be sure the policy is valid ... I guess you as Attorney will be selling the property to pay care fees

as you mention Council Tax, I tend to think there's only one property and your dad is still living there .... so the Council/LA need to know your mum has moved and that your dad is the sole resident and so the single resident discount applies

this may be of interest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mel Day