Council funded night sitting/sleeper service

rageineden

Dec 14, 2015
Does anyone know of a council providing this service in England?

We know Age UK offer this service privately having used them before. However our relative has no funds to do this on a private basis.

Following our sham MDT meeting yesterday where we were refused continuing care, the council have come back to us with 'an offer of care'.

Despite all the evidence that a care home is not suitable for our relatives needs, and in fact will lead to his early death due to how he cannot deal with institutionalized environments, the council consider it is in his best interest to only offer a care home place.

They will not consider a sitter/sleeper service in his home as in their words this is unheard of.

Does anyone know differently do i can go back to them?

It seems incredible that government policy is all focused around independent living and keeping people in their own homes, but the NHS and councils won't entertain this.

Maybe due to all the layers of bureaucracy they didn't get the memo?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
i have never yet heard of night care being funded by the Council. I know a number of people in care homes because of the night care. I think it is simply too expensive - it would be much more expensive to provide day and night care than to provide a care home.

Children do have night care but not 7 days.

Others might know differently?

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool

We know Age UK offer this service privately having used them before. However our relative has no funds to do this on a private basis.

Following our sham MDT meeting yesterday where we were refused continuing care, the council have come back to us with 'an offer of care'.

Despite all the evidence that a care home is not suitable for our relatives needs, and in fact will lead to his early death due to how he cannot deal with institutionalized environments, the council consider it is in his best interest to only offer a care home place.

They will not consider a sitter/sleeper service in his home as in their words this is unheard of.

It seems incredible that government policy is all focused around independent living and keeping people in their own homes, but the NHS and councils won't entertain this.

ask for reasons CHC was rejected . Ask for documentation which gives points in areas of need.
Hospice at home do a night sitting service but you have to be awarded CHC. They may be reasonble price. Is it worth enquiring ?
Good luck x

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London

I think the authorities want to keep people in their own homes only when it costs them less to do so. If your relative is at the stage where a care home is being recommended, and he needs a night sitter, then to be honest there really isn't a question of 'independent' living any more.

Many people would benefit from all-night sitters to enable them to stay in their own homes, but the reason councils will so rarely pay for them is that, not surprisingly, they are usually much more expensive than daytime carers. And the maximum most councils will usually fund even for daytime care is 4 relatively short visits per day, not all day.