Council Financial Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It all seems very strange (please don't take that the wrong way lgh) but I've always found "The Authorities" very much stick to the rules, sometimes it appears things may be said that aren't correct (I hear) but these seem to be corrected (and the mistake denied) when challenged. I've never seen a case of when given the evidence they continue to act incorrectly.
You say your father "left" you half the house, like Tre I presume this was on his death, this and his will are be a matter of public record, that the council can't dispute, you also say you have a POA for your mum, I assume this was in place and active at the time they did the assessment and that they were aware of it. You've taken legal advise and still they council haven't backed down.
They must really believe they have some good evidence of your wrong doing otherwise they would have dropped this ages ago. Have you any idea why they believe they are in the right and you're in the wrong?
K

Lhg

Dec 28, 2012
I'm still struggling with understanding how the LA managed to do a complete financial assessment without your consent as POA. How did they get access to your Mum's bank accounts to find out how munch money she actually had? If her bank gave the LA the figures, then surely they have breached Data Protection laws?

Sorry I wasn't clear. They were lying! they said they'd done a full financial assessment but only after I asked them how (as my mother can't speak) they said it was apparently only based on a care package she'd had at home the previous year, but not a proper financial assessment for care home fees. They didn't have any current information or any indepth information. They had absolutely no figures about what she had in the bank, because if that was so, the house wouldn't have been an issue. I'm really sorry that everyone is bewildered by this, I have been too. As Tre said. I think it's now time to focus on what's ahead...

Lhg

Dec 28, 2012
I'm really sorry, but I would like this thread to end. I feel that I'm being grilled by the comments. I needed information because the situation was strange, but at this point, I really don't want to continue having to defend myself on an ongoing basis. I'm sorry that it's an odd situation, but I was just hoping to a) clarify what should be done and b) let other people know that things aren't straightforward. I really don't want to keep responding as this situation is stressful enough. I hope everyone will understand.

Lhg

Dec 28, 2012
Sorry Lhg, didn't mean to 'grill' you. Other members are only asking for clarification so they can give you the best advice - nobody is accusing you of any wrong-doing - quite the opposite!

Hi, you may not be, but it is becoming relentless. And I'm afraid KevinL's comment implies wrongdoing on my part. I needed information, and support, but I don't believe it is up to commentators to be judge and jury without the facts or at least dismissing the information I've given. Quite frankly this thread has begun to upset me.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When people ask for legal or financial advice on the forum they are asking peer carers, not professionals. It is only natural, in order to try to understand, more information may be asked for. It is ask only natural different points of view may be expressed.

I'm sorry you have been upset by some replies Lhg but I truly believe all have been posted with good intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.