Couldn't waken mum up on chair - is this normal!

hawaii50

Hi again
There is definitely something strange going on with my mum at the moment. She fell asleep on the chair tonight at 8 o'clock (not unusual). I tried to wake her at 9 and she wouldn't waken up. I tried again a 9:30 and started to get worried. Nothing would waken her. Then eventually she started speaking back but I felt she was still sleeping - when I lifted her arm and let go it just landed like it would when you are sleeping. At 10:30 I managed to get her out the chair and up the stairs and changed her then took her to the bathroom - had to wipe her as she wasn't responding - then put her in bed - I am sure she was sleep walking the whole time and had never really woken up.
Should I be worried or is this normal!!! Would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you
Elspeth

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Has there been any change in her medication? Sounds like you need to get mum checked out by doctor, if problem recurs, just to be on safe side.
Blue sea

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Apart from the medication possibilities, this is how TIA's and seizures take my mother: short of physically hauling her into another position, it's impossible to move her, or for the most part get responses other than mumbles (if that).

Jennifer

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Hi Elspeth
sorry no real help but wanted you to know someone was listening. If it was me I think I might try to call a duty doctor for advice. I was with my Aunt once when she virtually crashed for about 6 hours but when a doctor eventually turned up she was just beginning to come around. Doctor thought she may have suffered a TIA. Next day she was fighting fit.

Kriss

hawaii50

She was on new stuff to sort her platelets after a suspected mini stroke but I took her back off it after only three days as she started to scratch her legs (poor skin and itchy there) and they bled and wouldn't stop - I assume her blood had been thinned by the tablets - my mum is a known "bleeder" when getting teeth out so I thought I would stop the new tablets for now and ask the doctor at the next visit. She hasn't been taking them for the past few days.
If she is still acting strange in the morning I will take her back to the doctors. I just wasn't sure if I should be phoning NHS 24 or if I was paranoid!! Thanks for your quick reply blue sea.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Elspeth,
Try NHS direct. I hope they have it in Scotland 0845 46 47. If it is in Scotland, you will speak to a nurse or doctor, and they will advise you.

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
blue sea said:
Has there been any change in her medication? Sounds like you need to get mum checked out by doctor, if problem recurs, just to be on safe side.
Blue sea

Dear Hawiia 50,

I agree with Blue sea, and get your mum checked out, it doesn`t sound like a normal response on trying to wake her up. We can suspect things but........ (my dad has had T.I.A`s. similar to what you describe ) the G.P. is the one to ask.
Let us know how you get on.
Thinking of you.
Love Jan. X

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Phoning NHS direct seems excellent idea as it will put your mind at rest about whether you neeed to do anything tonight. Hope there is nothing to worry about - though having said that, it is a constant series of worries looking after someone with dementia isn't it? Blue sea

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
hawaii50
Registered User Join Date: Mar 2007

just read everyone elses replies and thanks for being there. It feels lonely at times like this!!

It sure does! Your post brought back very vivid memories of me ringing around like a crazy woman desperately trying to find some help. I really thought we were losing Aunt that day.

Hope you get a good nights rest and that the morning brings improvement

Kriss

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry Elspeth, wrong Information.

In Scotland it`s NHS24 and the number is 08454 24 24 24 and you can get 24 hour advice. Hope someone there puts your mind at rest.

hawaii50

called the NHS 23 hour care and they are going to send a doctor out just to make sure she is ok. Because she had a suspected mini stroke 10 days ago they don't think we should be taking any chances.
Thank you all so much for your replies. I will let you know the outcome.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
so I thought I would stop the new tablets for now and ask the doctor at the next visit. She hasn't been taking them for the past few days.

Hope I do not sound rude , when I say you should never stop medication without asking a doctor First , as what is happening could be the side effects of taking her of the medication , hope all is ok now , when the doctor arrives xx

hawaii50

Thanks so much for everyone's concern. Doctor eventually arrived at 3:30 this morning. Checked mum out and she was ok by the time he arrived. She is fine this morning - I am whacked!! Was probably just another one of those"incidents".

Margarita - comment about the medication I totally agree, however mum has a long history of allergic reactions to medication including anaphylactic shock so we are always very prompt to stop something if there are any worrying side effects. We have had little success with any medication over the years. I will take her to her own doctor again and discuss where we go from here.

Thanks again to everyone who replied - my husband is taking over this morning - I should have been at the dentist right now but I am about to crawl back into bed for a few hours to top up on the two hours sleep I got last night!! All you sleep deprived people know how I feel!!! And I know how lucky I am to have a husband who gives me a break when I need one while many of you need to face this on your own - I have the utmost respect for your all.
Elspeth

Helena

May 24, 2006
My Mother who was 90 and had VD could sleep for England in a chair or a bed and absolutely nothing and no one could waken her

When she was in hospital you could sit there for 3 hours and despite all the nurses attempts etc nothing would rouse her

I guess that part of the brain just shuts down to almost zero

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Glad to read all is ok , sorry , just that you would of thought they know about your mother long history of allergic reactions to medication including anaphylactic shock, before giving her the medication in the first place.

Don’t want in get into that issue as I can imagine how tried your are at the moment. main think is that’s its getting sorted out now and you can finally get some sleep xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Helena

I saw a program on TV about sleep last night , one boy could not get up in the morning no matter how long he sleep, her went in to some place that monitor sleep paten, he sleep for 11 hour soled, with no night disturbance, and still find it hard to get up .they said he had some brain medical condition , but can not really explain why it happen , so they gave him medication to help him , that he have to take for the rest of his life , he was 20 years old

My mother can sleep during the day also the night time , Makes me think with all that is going on in the brain with the disease , it could set this type of sleep Patten in some people with AZ

Another lady would get up at night time a walk around in kitchen and eat ,with no light on and she was disabled and could not walk during the day as it was to painful, they show you her doing it on TV , while they where monitoring her brain Patten while asleep , one night she found her nightdress with her tea bags , she was scared that one night she would wonder out in the street naked. sounds Like AZ I thought , but it was not as she was fine dureing the day, just so tried from sleep night disturbance.

So they also found something going on in her brain at night time , so gave her medication so she could finally get some sleep , they was load of other younger people in they 20 /30 /40/ 50 that it is also happening to

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Elspeth

Just caught up. Went to bed early last night, whacked. Guess you know all about that!:(

I'm so glad your mum's OK this morning. You must have been so worried last night, I'd have panicked.

Well done you and your husband, and well done TP for instant response.

Love to all,