Could this be the early stages of dementia?

TokenG

Aug 30, 2020
My father (early 70's) has been a little bit forgetful recently. Telling us the same thing each time we talk to him. I expect some memory loss with this age, however it's the other stuff that's concerning me.

A massive about turn in politics - lifelong voter of one party would never ever consider voting for the other side but then suddenly deciding that the other political party is the best thing since sliced bread!

Really good at all things domestic, could fix anything and handle any emergency. Has now asked me whether or not he should defrost the freezer. If so, which way to go about doing it.

Been capable of using a mobile phone but then recently asking me how he uses a function that he's always used before with no problems.

A very tolerant person his whole life, embracing all differences. Now sending us some very crude, close to the bone and distasteful jokes that his friend is sending to him.

I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @TokenG. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

It does sound as if your concerns about your father are valid but it doesn`t necessarily imply Dementia.

Perhaps you could keep a diary of all the concerns you have and discuss them with your father`s doctor. Allow the doctor to decide on any further action. He may call your father to make an appointment for an age related check up and take it from there.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @TokenG and welcome to the forum from me too. You have come to the right place for information and support.

As has been said, the best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document
Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version
Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @TokenG
There do seem to be things that raise big red flags in my mind. Most people think of memory loss with dementia, but that is actually only the tip of the iceberg.
I agree with Sylvia and Pete. Keep a diary of all the odd things he does and contact his GP about your concerns - maybe send a letter so that it goes into his file