Could there be a website for swaps or donations

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
I can't see the need for buying a domain name and paying for hosting when a free forum could be used instead. Or am I missing something?

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
I've had 2 bad experiences with free hosts/forums before where on one everything disappeared because they went bust and the other the servers were confiscated by authorities so we lost everything both times so I'd prefer not to have a repeat experience.

I have a friend who has private hosting and will let me put a forum on her area which will cost nothing as I'm not expecting it to be busy so just need to get a domain name or we can use proboards but we still need a name for the site.

Last edited:

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
@fredsnail I noticed while googling about, there is a place called Simplesite.com, I don't really know anything about it, but it seems to be free. A free lunch? I doubt it! ;)

I looked at this and it's free for 30 days then you have to subscribe so as you say not quite a free lunch - just a nibble :D

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
If we have a forum we could sort the posts by area of the country and can then leave posts on there until the item has gone and we can remove the post (or close it). I don't think we'd have that flexibility with facebook.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Have a look at freecycle for ideas- that works well.

Your prob need a few bits in place (rules?) and paypal. a presumably people wont always want to give things away.

I suppose you need a a title that reflects what its about- is it just going to be aids & equipment, or other things a well?

'' Disability swap & shop''

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
You just need a single 'word' to register a Proboards forum so it could maybe be registered as swapshop.proboards.com as long as no-one else has already used it. The actual name of the forum can be changed.

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
New site to request or offer equipment for swop or sale

Al'z Swop & Sell has been set up to bring together people who have equipment they no longer require and people who need equipment.

All equipment can be requested or offered (larger items could be couriered rather than posted using Royal Mail if agreed by both offerer/seller and the recipient/buyer)

http://swopshop.proboards.com/

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Excellent, well done. It's funny that I was wondering what had happened to that idea just this morning. Now I know:)

Will join later and set up an item we need to dispose of.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Well done Fredsnail

I will go through the cupboards over the next few days.

Bit reluctant to do that as on a previous occasion I found a poo in a shoe!!!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Actually I tried to blame the cat or dog.Trouble is I'm not sure (even though my animals are all supremely talented) that they are capable of wrapping poo in paper!!!!

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
lyn that's so funny! but not if you know what I mean that made me smile ha ha good job we still know hoe to laugh. juniepoonie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhubarb1989