Could there be a website for swaps or donations

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
I know a lot of us who have lost our loved ones to dementia have equipment that they no longer need.. could we donate it to the new people on TP or another website where we can donate anything we have to help them.. I would be willing to finance this webhosting.. let me know, it needs to be done for all of us on TP as it's not allowed on here :)

Last edited:

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
You could use money saving expert forum and creat a dedicated thread ther and just post the link on here?

I can't understand the rules here as I remember a prolonged discussion about a sweater that was on offer and that wasn't closed. No one for one minute would associate a swap or donation being associated with the AS. But hey ho...

Fiona

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Good ideas

Kath/Fiona

Count me in. I hate waste so it would be great to empty the cupboards!

Have good days everyone

Lyn T

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
I can set up a forum for this if people want it. I'd need a couple of people who'd be happy to help me moderate/organise/help others to use it.

Web hosting would be £3 a month and we'd need a domain name (website name) which the cost would be annual and would depend on what ending we have (ie .co.uk or .com)

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
Great idea :) I don't have the skill to help set up or run the site but just wanted to add my support of the principal.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I, too, think it is a very good idea. When Alan died I donated a lot of his things to TPers. I was thrilled that they went to good use. Someone donated to me a Kylie sheet which I was very grateful for because I was told by the District Nurse that they don't provide them anymore.

Love

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Just to add to my post if anyone wants to help run the site - you won't need any skill - just a bit of time (not loads) to read the posts and help new people or move posts and I'll give full training for anyone who wants to help.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I would be happy to help donate some time although it would have to be on the understanding that I can't be 100% relied upon daily because I never know when I am going to be too ill to do anything. I would need training because I wouldn't have a clue.

Love

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
That would be fine Helen if we could get 3 or 4 people people could pop on when they can.

I have to go to work now but will look at setting something up tonight as there seems to be demand for it. Have to try to think of a good name that's not already being used now :).

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I would be happy to help . I am in most of the time so browse the sites a lot. I have some knowledge of being a moderator on another site, but would still need training . Jeannette

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
@fredsnail I noticed while googling about, there is a place called Simplesite.com, I don't really know anything about it, but it seems to be free. A free lunch? I doubt it! ;)

Also, I do know that Vbulletin is not free but phpb is free, as it's open source if I recall correctly.. https://www.phpbb.com/

I've Moderated and been Admin on a couple of forums using both software, but in recent years I have quit doing anything along those lines and don't think I could take it up again as I got burned out doing it before, but I would be willing to help in some way as I don't think it would be very busy ;)

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
posting from kindle so apologies for brevity and lack of punctuation. have some spare time so willing to volunteer if not too technical. have just chucked perfectly good stuff in house clearance as nowhere to donate it.

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
There's no need to pay for web hosting if a forum would do the job. I would be happy to set up and admin a free forum on Proboards. I already have a private forum operating on Proboards so setting up another one wouldn't be a problem.

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I think it is a great idea! Distance might be an issue for bigger items.

I have just had to get mum a riser/recliner chair at just over £900, needed it quickly so no time to research for 2nd hand. Next search is for a hospital type table that fits under it - an over the bed table arrived yesterday but there is precious little space for feet when using with a chair. Wheelchair is next on the list too - this is going to get expensive!

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Hiya,

MIL used one of those lap trays - tray top squidgy bean bag bottom, if you see what I mean. Wouldn't work for your mum if she's a fidget, though:)

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Thanks Peggy, I use that for the laptop now, she got beyond using it as she doesn't seem to work well on one side any more. Apparently the dementia and not a stroke :confused:

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
Pennie maybe a laptop table would be easier to find than a hospital style one. Amazon has quite a selection of different ones.

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Pennie maybe a laptop table would be easier to find than a hospital style one. Amazon has quite a selection of different ones.

Thank you so much - why didn't I even think of that, especially as I am a seller on Amazon myself, deary me :eek:

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Thanks to everyone for the support & offers for help.

We need to decide on a domain name and I can get it set up.

My bad ideas so far include

forgetmenot-swopshop.com
forgetmenot-swoppers.co.uk

If anyone has any ideas for some better names please post them in here and I'll check if they're available.