Could i ask a huge favour from my friends please ??

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
I thought the words were brilliant and I know will be delivered from the heart so what audience could not ever be moved into action.
I am sure you are nervous, I suppose a bit like stage fright, but just say those very meaningful words and you will be fine.:)
All the best.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Thank you all so so much, amd thank you for the advice about double spacing, talking a bit slower and bigger letters, thats great advice i would never have thought of that, and Helen thats such a good point about it being classed as old in them days, i promise i will keep this in mind, thank you all so much, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxx

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Normms, that is a lovely and moving speech.

One other tip, is that if you are using paper or cards, slide a paper clip down the page to the line that you are at as you speak, so that you keep your place in the text.

I wish I could go and cheer you on!

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Norrms, the best speeches are always those where the speaker is passionate about the subject matter, so you should do just fine.

You may find your mouth goes dry so make sure you have a glass or bottle of water on hand. Some people suggest picturing the audience in their underwear, but that never worked for me! Lack of imagination clearly. :D

This part of the speech stood out for me.
The one thing I am very rarely asked is WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT HAVING DEMENTIA? Well, I am here, today and hopefully will be for a long time to come, please just ask me!!

We were having a discussion a few weeks ago about meeting the needs of people with dementia and were trying to work out what people with dementia would want. Of course the answer was obvious - ask people with dementia what they want, and don't try to speak for them.

Good luck with the speech.

rachel1966

Oct 28, 2010
driffield
good call

hi norm,

haven't been on the site for a long time, and yours is the first post i've read - i think that you should be very proud of the content,it says it as it is and I think that is very very important. People don't realise what it is like to suffer, they can only imagine and i don't suppose come anywhere near !! Good luck and take your time to make your point - it's very important:)

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Norms, you're an absolute STAR!

Fantastic speech, and you've got it just perfect where you ask you audience a question, and pause for them to form an answer in their own minds before going onto the next point.
No-one will fall asleep at YOUR talk!!

Best wishes, sure it will be a roaring success.
Luv, Necion. x

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Hey Norms, Good for you, GO FOR IT.
That is a fabulous speech, you are very brave.
My father is 62 and suffers from Picks Disease he is now in an EMI unit and doesnt know anything about his situation.
I have just opened up a Facebook page called 'Dementia and Me Community Page' to do exactly what you are trying to achieve - tell people that its not just old people that suffer. Please join it and shout your message from the roof tops.
I wish you every success and people will be rivited to their seats when listening to your story.

Keep us informed.

Nicky

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
great speach Norrms but knew it would be coming from you good luck hope it all goes well sure it will love larivy

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I read your thread earlier today and am thrilled that you have gained so much support with your speech. I think it's brilliant and so are you. I have never been brave enough to give a speech or even stand up in public and debate my point.

At my daughter's school there was great encouragement given to learn the skills of public speaking. She was a naturally shy child but really enjoyed learning the skills and she went on to win public speaking competitions. One of the techniques was to type up the speech and then break it down into sections that fit onto small index cards - so the line width will be quite narrow. She used to stick these onto index cards and then read them one by one - so it's less easy to get lost. However, judging from what I have read you are a natural and not at all shy so you probably have your own technique by now.

My husband had to give a speech to the school when daughter became head girl - he'd never given one before - so we tried out the index card technique and it worked a treat!

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I too cannot think of anyone better Norrms

Its a brilliant speech, and will go down well.

thankyou for fighting so hard for dementia sufferers especially EOA,

your bound to be a bit nervious at first, its only natural,it does get easier once you start PROMISE, just imagine you are talking to close friends

Pacucho

Norms,

This is a fantastic speech. Well done.

It is not often someone with dementia can make such an invaluable contribution, and this is the greatest advantage Cancer charities have in securing greater funding for research.

We need more people like you to raise the profile.
Regards,

Paco

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi Norms

It's such a fantastic speech - it should without a doubt make people sit up and really think.

Well done and good luck.

Liz

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
My bit of advice would be to have pauses now and again, only a few seconds, but just to allow people to digest the important point you have just made, before you move on to the next. It's a bit like the advice to have some "white space" on a poster, a pause is no bad thing. Just don't let them clap too long!!

Good luck

Margaret