Could anyone help us ?

laugh

Oct 14, 2014
Hi I'm new to this, my husband who is 60 years of age was diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimer's at the end of 2012, he has no hobbies, and attends Luncheon clubs 2 days a week, there are times when I get really frustrated with him because its as if he does not listen or dose not want to listen, I know it will get harder later on.
We have an 18 year old daughter and it's feels that he is putting a wedge between me and my daughter.:( When ever we ask him if there is something wrong he will always say nothing is wrong, but my daughter says that when I go to work she can hear him talking to himself as if he is having a go at someone or himself, but she goes to ask him what what's wrong he will always say nothing is wrong. We have told him that if he needs or wants someone to talk or help him with something he can always talk to us but he will not, this is the problem with him, he will not talk to anyone, it's as if he feels like there is no-one who will understand how he feels. :(

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
Hi Laugh,

Welcome! Oh you are between a rock and a hard place, aren't you? If hubby isn't comfortable talking to you and your daughter, might he consider talking to other blokes who have early stages? I believe there will be some men out there who would be happy to have a coffee and a chat.

I am sure this isn't easy for you, and I imagine he is pretty set in his ways as well. Sometimes, it can really help to get them to talk to others who they can come to trust.

I wish you some peace soon with all this.

Others will come along soon to give you their input.

Cheers,

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi I'm new to this, my husband who is 60 years of age was diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimer's at the end of 2012, he has no hobbies, and attends Luncheon clubs 2 days a week, there are times when I get really frustrated with him because its as if he does not listen or dose not want to listen, I know it will get harder later on.
We have an 18 year old daughter and it's feels that he is putting a wedge between me and my daughter.:( When ever we ask him if there is something wrong he will always say nothing is wrong, but my daughter says that when I go to work she can hear him talking to himself as if he is having a go at someone or himself, but she goes to ask him what what's wrong he will always say nothing is wrong. We have told him that if he needs or wants someone to talk or help him with something he can always talk to us but he will not, this is the problem with him, he will not talk to anyone, it's as if he feels like there is no-one who will understand how he feels. :(

I don't know what stage your Husband is at but your Husband may be finding it difficult to understand or articulate what he is thinking. My Husband has severe expressive and receptive Dysphasia which means he has little, or no, understanding of even the simplest of instructions-'stand up' 'sit down', he also cannot express him self 'thirsty' 'cold' etc. This is, in Pete's case, due to the brain damage that has occurred. So it may not be because he won't listen, or doesn't want to listen-perhaps he simply can't.

As far as your Husband talking to himself-is it possible he is having audio hallucinations or visual hallucinations and is responding to 'people' he can hear/see.?

Do you have any contact with a SW/CPN or mental health Consultant? If so I would make a phone call and describe what you have described here

Take care

Lyn T

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi there, my husband is the same and was also diagnosed when 60. It's his frustration not finding the right words what makes him talk to himself he also speaks quickly as otherwise he forgets what he wanted to say bless and a lot of the times it comes out wrong . Just yesterday we had a chat about his illness as he has mood swings and I need to adjust my own behaviour . It's such a learning curve for the both of us. I still have days where I try and finish sentence for him and it rightly upsets him so it's trial and error until we are back on an even keel . He's 65 now and still fighting this as he calls it! Think somehow we have entered a new phase and it does take time for both of us to adjust. All in all he's holding up really well

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone

Forgot to quote sorry reply is above

laugh

Oct 14, 2014
Hi there, my husband is the same and was also diagnosed when 60. It's his frustration not finding the right words what makes him talk to himself he also speaks quickly as otherwise he forgets what he wanted to say bless and a lot of the times it comes out wrong . Just yesterday we had a chat about his illness as he has mood swings and I need to adjust my own behaviour . It's such a learning curve for the both of us. I still have days where I try and finish sentence for him and it rightly upsets him so it's trial and error until we are back on an even keel . He's 65 now and still fighting this as he calls it! Think somehow we have entered a new phase and it does take time for both of us to adjust. All in all he's holding up really well

Hi my husband also has mood swings as well, some times he becomes a different person, and I find this difficult to cope with some times.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi my husband also has mood swings as well, some times he becomes a different person, and I find this difficult to cope with some times.

I so know what you mean! John can be like that too totally different . I think his behaviour is slightly changing and it makes me so sad. A new phase is coming xx

laugh

Oct 14, 2014
I don't know what stage your Husband is at but your Husband may be finding it difficult to understand or articulate what he is thinking. My Husband has severe expressive and receptive Dysphasia which means he has little, or no, understanding of even the simplest of instructions-'stand up' 'sit down', he also cannot express him self 'thirsty' 'cold' etc. This is, in Pete's case, due to the brain damage that has occurred. So it may not be because he won't listen, or doesn't want to listen-perhaps he simply can't.

As far as your Husband talking to himself-is it possible he is having audio hallucinations or visual hallucinations and is responding to 'people' he can hear/see.?

Do you have any contact with a SW/CPN or mental health Consultant? If so I would make a phone call and describe what you have described here

Take care

Lyn T

Sorry its taken me long to reply, thank you for the advice,