Coughing and choking

Bagpuss77j

Nov 5, 2015
Wirral
No one probably gonna be here at this time but had an awfull couple hours mum was in bed and settled when she suddenly started coughing and choking after an hr of trying to sit her up and settle it down I phoned 111 git a long assessment then gp rings me and says basically it's to be expected coz thy do start having problems swallowing but does someone really need to come out and assess her just see if she settles and get back in touch! She as settled bit better but still coughing and croaking a bit and I now sat here in her room keeping an eye on her worrying! I don't want her in hospital our local as an awful reputation but I felt the Dr just wasn't bothered an took the attitude she better dying at home basically!!!

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
How scary!
I'd ask the GP to come & have a look at your mum. Maybe she needs to see the SALT people about it.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Bagpuss, I get worried every time I hear a cough and it's no wonder that this prolonged bout caused you such anxiety. Definitely worth getting the GP to listen to her chest and a visit from a SALT might be well worthwhile.

It's always worse when things happen at night isn't it? Hope your mum is OK this morning.

Bagpuss77j

Nov 5, 2015
Wirral
Bagpuss, I get worried every time I hear a cough and it's no wonder that this prolonged bout caused you such anxiety. Definitely worth getting the GP to listen to her chest and a visit from a SALT might be well worthwhile.

It's always worse when things happen at night isn't it? Hope your mum is OK this morning.
Hi all thanks for your support mum slept in this morning a bit and now had breakfast and seems fine she dosent remember about it! Can I ask what SALTS are?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Can I ask what SALTS are?"

Speech And Language Therapists

As well as working with speech and language problems they diagnose and give advice on problems with swallowing.

The GP should be able to ask for a referral.

Bagpuss77j

Nov 5, 2015
Wirral
"Can I ask what SALTS are?"

Speech And Language Therapists

As well as working with speech and language problems they diagnose and give advice on problems with swallowing.

The GP should be able to ask for a referral.

Thanks nitram yes the GP did mention referring her when I mentioned it last time he saw her over a uti so I will get in touch and get that sorted thanks