Costs that predate Deputyship

Mark H

Aug 29, 2014
My father died suddenly last year and I had to employ a live carer to look after my mother who has Alz. The arrangement lasted until January when my mother had to move into a care home as a self funder. As my mother did have an LPA I applied to the COP of protection to be appointed a deputy & I heard this week that the deputyship has been granted.

Since August I've been paying for all my mother's care & housing costs out of my own funds. My father dealt with all such matters and when he died I was left with no access to my mother's accounts. I did ask phone the OPG a few months ago and they said when the deputyship has been granted I'd be able to claim these payments back. However, I can't see this writing down anyway. Has anyone got any experience of claiming back costs that predate the start date of the deputyship?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There is a fact sheet on here where it says
"When acting as a deputy can I claim for any out-of-pocket expenses?
Yes, when acting as someone's deputy you can claim for certain expenses. People often don't claim back expenses for a variety of reasons, but no one should be left out of pocket for acting as a deputy".
I can't think you'll have an issue.
K
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2478

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
When you applied for the deputyship, did you specify that that you wished to do this, and was it included in the order? Specifically, did you put this information in 4.30 of the COP01A form?

Mark H

Aug 29, 2014
When you applied for the deputyship, did you specify that that you wished to do this, and was it included in the order? Specifically, did you put this information in 4.30 of the COP01A form?

A solictor completed the COP forms for me & section 4.30 of COP01A is blank. In section 5 (personal statement) of the COP4 form I did say I'd use funds to pay for a live in carer & household costs & if the point was reached residential care.

I've not actually seen the COP order as the security bond is currently being set up so I don't know yet what powers the order will give me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa