Cost of Day Care - HOW MUCH?????

Louise.D

Apr 13, 2007
Essex
I don't mean to be rude but......

Day Care - How much does it cost? My mother has been once and according to the booklet it will cost her £9.60 per day included transport as she is disabled.

Social worker has informed me that she will be charged... wait for it £41.25 per day. £82.50 per week.

After I swore I nearly fell off the chair.

Anyone else out there being charged this? I'm hoping that the social worker is just **** at her job and has made an error (but then again she shouldn't of)

My mother has never earnt £82.50 per week in her life.

We are in Essex. Anyone else in Essex? How much are you charged?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Louise.

John goes to one run by Alzheimer Scotland. It costs £5 a day, including transport and lunch. It's not means tested.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi Louise,

Ken my husband goes to a Saturday + Sunday day care centre run by the LA. As I take him and bring him home I do not pay for the transport but do pay £4.00 per week for his meals. That is the total payment I make each week. The centre is very good indeed; there is a high ratio of staff per patient and in the afternoons there are a variety of activities varying from dominoes to chair bound ball, throwing type games. The staff are friendly and supportive and are never too busy to befriend and suport me. Ken is not the easiest of patients but over the last year they seem to have grown very fond of him and understand all his ways very well. I was never financially assessed for this facility.

I was financially assessed for the direct payment scheme which allows me to employ someone for up to 12 hours each week and which is heavily subsidised by the LA. My local authority is in the north west of England and jealously guards its high star rating on social care whenever it has been Government assessed. I do feel very lucky and thank my stars for the support I am given. Hope this is of some use to you. Best wishes TinaT xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Yes I was told also that SS day center run by LA , is £3:50 a day including transport and lunch , My mother is going they 2 days a week

And 2 days at AZ day center that cost £7 a day , including transport and lunch .

Last edited:

Louise.D

Apr 13, 2007
Essex
I hope that they have made an error. The social worker is not very good and is always giving me incorrect information, in fact I'm going to ask social to assign me a different worker Even the NHS team that's involved with my mum have complained.

The sad thing that if it is £41.25 she won't be able to go as although she is full cost she is still picking up the costs from her own property. This they don't take into account as she is not living there anymore.

Perhaps she ment £4.25.

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
My husband goes to a local authority day centre once a week. The charge is £24 per day plus £2.60 for lunch. I take him myself but if I didn't I believe there is a charge for transport.

He also goes to a local support group set up by my CPN and that is totally FREE (wonderful).

If your Mum has savings below a certain level (£13,000 I believe) and no assets she should be exempt from fees apart from lunch. This should have been sorted out when your LA did their financial assessment. I expect the problem for you is her property. Even if she isn't living there, it will be taken as an asset. If you don't want to sell, is it possible to rent it out to provide some income to cover your Mum's care costs?

I sometimes think that the financial worries are almost as bad as the health worries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet