Coronavirus

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I had to go into our local shopping centre this morning to collect my new glasses (cataracts and glaucoma) and it was really weird. There wasn't much open, just a couple of pharmacies and phone shops and my optician so apart from a a small number of security people I was totally on my own.

The main streets were empty of traffic and people and there I was standing completely on my own in the middle of my home town,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 447

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Just a little thing that has brightened the day.

My neighbour opposite has started to print out a daily poem, which she pins to a post for people to read on their daily walk.
The first was The Lake Isle of Innisfree, which, by chance, my mum can recite frontwards, backwards and sideways. It's a schooltime memory that has stuck when so many memories have been lost.

I take mum for a walk every day and now we have a lovely poem to end the walk with. Today's was about the wind being gentle with a little girl.
We can see just how many people stop to read; their aren't many that don't.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh how lovely @Dimpsy. What a great idea. I love The Lake Isle of Innisfree,

Edit - unlike your mum I could only remember the first 2 lines! I had to look it up. I'm gad I did.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Oh how lovely @Dimpsy. What a great idea. I love The Lake Isle of Innisfree,

Edit - unlike your mum I could only remember the first 2 lines! I had to look it up. I'm gad I did.

Mum had been living with us for 6 months and she woke up on 27th December 2017 and recited it. I was so staggered I made a note in my diary and then printed a copy for me to keep and it is s lovely poem isn't it.

I hope that my neighbour keeps going with the daily poem after we have come out the other side.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
What a lovely idea @Dimpsey. I might try and do something similar. Lots of people walk up and down this road (though fewer than normal with no school or university open), but it would be good to have something to cheer them up.
I've spotted lots of rainbows in windows and signing thanking the NHS, the bin men and the posties. I probably ought to do that too.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
What a lovely idea @Dimpsey. I might try and do something similar. Lots of people walk up and down this road (though fewer than normal with no school or university open), but it would be good to have something to cheer them up.
I've spotted lots of rainbows in windows and signing thanking the NHS, the bin men and the posties. I probably ought to do that too.

My granddaughter showed me her window rainbow today, so that's tomorrow's job to look forward to, out will come the felt tips, although mum is good at colouring in so that could be her job while I do the bin men and posties, thank you @Sarasa for keeping me up to date!!

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
Ok thanks,I will have to look in to that,it would be nice for me to avoid people at the shops as I have type 2 diabetes,but we still have 8 carers entering our house each day so I can't do much about that

I've taken to enclosing a little 'gift' in the birthday cards I've recently sent to family and friends. Namely, 2 neatly folded pieces of toilet paper with the wish that they will enjoy them when next they have a big occasion to celebrate...like diarehea. Toilet humour maybe, but it's made them smile.
(The reason I can be so generous is, with my constipation I only use one roll a year.)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've taken to enclosing a little 'gift' in the birthday cards I've recently sent to family and friends. Namely, 2 neatly folded pieces of toilet paper with the wish that they will enjoy them when next they have a big occasion to celebrate...like diarehea. Toilet humour maybe, but it's made them smile.
(The reason I can be so generous is, with my constipation I only use one roll a year.)
? ? ?

Wishing20

Feb 27, 2020
Mums care home is now closed to all visitors, this decision was made late yesterday. To be fair they do have some very vulnerble residents and Covid-19 would certainly knock them off their feet for the worse. They couldn't tell me how long this will last at the moment.

Its not great as mum needs visitors, but as things are its best to be safe than sorry
My Mum’s home is also closed to visitors.
I have personally found this very very emotionally tough as my Mum has only just moved into a home and whilst during the first few weeks she was unhappy she had settled down to a routine where I visited every day and took her out for a walk with our dog and she was very happy.
I am worried about this ban on visitors on her understanding of this situation and I know it will really bother her not being able to go out for a walk.
She’s not good on the phone so I have decided to write to her... my first letter is being sent today, its a one page brief chatty letter and I hope it will bring her some comfort.
x

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
My Mum’s home is also closed to visitors.
I have personally found this very very emotionally tough as my Mum has only just moved into a home and whilst during the first few weeks she was unhappy she had settled down to a routine where I visited every day and took her out for a walk with our dog and she was very happy.
I am worried about this ban on visitors on her understanding of this situation and I know it will really bother her not being able to go out for a walk.
She’s not good on the phone so I have decided to write to her... my first letter is being sent today, its a one page brief chatty letter and I hope it will bring her some comfort.
x

That's what I used to do for my mum after dad died and before she moved to live with us. She was across the other side of the country and very lonely, so I wrote a couple of times each week and usually included a photo or postcard, great-granddaughters drawings, magazine, even a free supermarket magazine is something to look at and helps to while away the time. I used to write about simple stuff, what we'd had for dinner, watched on the telly, who we'd talked to and I know the letters were something she came to rely on. I bought stamps and large letter stamps so it was easy to write and post.

The awful thing was having to keep the letters open and chatty because mum's attorney at that time used to open her post first. He would throw her correspondence in the bin sometimes if it wasn't to his liking.
Thankfully his position was revoked for underhand behaviour and neglect.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
I wondered if he was struggling with the virus when he didn’t come of isolation just after Matt Hancock did. I hope he gets well soon. I feel for his pregnant partner she must be so stressed and I hope she recovers quickly too (I’m not a fan of his politics though, but that’s not important now)

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I wondered if he was struggling with the virus when he didn’t come of isolation just after Matt Hancock did. I hope he gets well soon. I feel for his pregnant partner she must be so stressed and I hope she recovers quickly too (I’m not a fan of his politics though, but that’s not important now)
But he looked pretty silly when he was talking about shaking everybody's hands when he visited a hospital, saying that he had washed his hands so all good!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I thought he didn't look very well on his last couple of appearances, I hope he makes a good recovery. This corona virus is getting quite scary now and I am worried for anyone that needs to be hospitalised.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have just been watching a program where they interviewed a professor from Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York.

It seems that there appears to be a connection between this virus and people suffering strokes. Even younger patients appear to suffering with this problem.
They are finding that something in the blood acts as a thinner which is perhaps responsible for the cerebral hemorrhage.

Early days yet and lots of work to be done but it is a possible reason for why this virus is so deadly.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan