Coronavirus

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Coronavirus patients in Italy died at a rate of one every two minutes yesterday as the virus continues to ravage the country.

Sobering figures show 793 people lost their lives to Covid-19 in Italy on Saturday - equating to an average of 33 deaths per hour.

This marks the biggest increase in fatalities yet over a single 24-hour period.

The nation’s overall death toll is now 4,825, surpassing China, where the killer bug first originated in the city of Wuhan.

It comes as Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned that Britain is only “two or three” weeks behind Italy on the spread of Covid-19.

The UK’s death toll from the pandemic today is exactly the same as Italy's was two weeks ago.

Coronavirus has now killed 233 people in Britain - a figure which Italy reached on March 7.

In todays Sunday papers, Johnson has issued a stark warning the NHS could become as overwhelmed as Italy’s health service unless ‘heroic’ efforts are made.

"Unless we act together, unless we make the heroic and collective national effort to slow the spread - then it is all too likely that our own NHS will be similarly overwhelmed," he said.

The total number of confirmed cases in Italy rose to 53,578, up from 47,021 on Friday.

The Italian army has now been sent in to enforce quarantine measures in Lombardy, the country’s worst-affected region.

More than 100 soldiers were deployed to the northern Italian region to keep people inside after reports of people defying lockdown rules.
Hi @Countryboy ,
I am Italian and live in Piedmont, one of the red areas where lockdown was decreed.
We are all scared and the epidemic seems to be out of control. Yesterday (Tuesday) 745 deaths were reported, but they do not include those who died in their homes.
They say the deaths are likely to be at least three or four times those we officially know.
Today I went to the supermarket ( mask and loves on) no panic buying , but my trolley was overflowing with the food OH and I will be eating in the next weeks.
There is not much to do to protect ourselves from the virus except for staying at home and coming into contact with no one.
We wonder when it will be over.
There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi @Countryboy ,
I am Italian and live in Piedmont, one of the red areas where lockdown was decreed.
We are all scared and the epidemic seems to be out of control. Yesterday (Tuesday) 745 deaths were reported, but they do not include those who died in their homes.
They say the deaths are likely to be at least three or four times those we officially know.
Today I went to the supermarket ( mask and loves on) no panic buying , but my trolley was overflowing with the food OH and I will be eating in the next weeks.
There is not much to do to protect ourselves from the virus except for staying at home and coming into contact with no one.
We have been watching what's been happening in Italy and we really feel so sad for you all. It must be very frightening especially when you are older or have someone who is already unwell.

We are supposed to be in Phase 2 of lockdown but it's a bit of a joke. It's the lockdown you have when you don't want to have one and perhaps I am being cynical but I think politics and economics are influencing the situation.

A lot of people have lost their jobs through the closure of restaurants, gyms, etc and through limits put on the size of gatherings etc. But retail shops are still open and the government is giving money to everyone to spend to stimulate the economy so it seems ridiculous to me. A lot of industry is still functioning and there are silly things like you can get your hair cut but not get your nails done.

I had a text from our government just before and it was just the standard stuff like remembering to wash your hands.

Don't forget to stay in touch and let us know how you are. I can't imagine how helpless you feel.

margherita

May 30, 2017
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @margherita
I think of you often and pray that you will keep safe
Scary times
Thank you @canary
I am not easily scared, but these days I am. I know , should I catch the virus and need ICU, there would not be a place in hospital for me, as well as for most elderly people. In other words, they would let me die. There are fewer devices for respiration than people who need them. So doctors have to choose. It seems people over sixty (I have recently turned 68) are at the bottom of the "waiting list" to be cured
We have been watching what's been happening in Italy and we really feel so sad for you all. It must be very frightening especially when you are older or have someone who is already unwell.

We are supposed to be in Phase 2 of lockdown but it's a bit of a joke. It's the lockdown you have when you don't want to have one and perhaps I am being cynical but I think politics and economics are influencing the situation.

A lot of people have lost their jobs through the closure of restaurants, gyms, etc and through limits put on the size of gatherings etc. But retail shops are still open and the government is giving money to everyone to spend to stimulate the economy so it seems ridiculous to me. A lot of industry is still functioning and there are silly things like you can get your hair cut but not get your nails done.

I had a text from our government just before and it was just the standard stuff like remembering to wash your hands.

Don't forget to stay in touch and let us know how you are. I can't imagine how helpless you feel.
Hi @Lawson58 ,
I actually feel helpless and lonely.
We know nobody we can rely on, should we need something, since we have neither family nor friends nor even acquaintances nearby.
Every two weeks I go food shopping and we spend the rest of the time at home.
OH likes pottering in the garden, even if he gets tired after few hours. He is restless and bored and, above all, clingy , which is unbearable.
Even here the government has been late to take the measures against the epidemic, so more and more people got infected.
There were and are so many interests at stake. I keep reading that after the epidemic nothing will stay the same. I do not think they are right. People easily forget and go on with their lives. The only thing of which I am sure is our country will be much poorer . The side effects of the epidemic will last for a long time.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I wish I could say something helpful @margherita. All I can say is, along with the others, I’m thinking of you - and please keep posting here.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thanks @Izzy, you are always so kind to me.
I hope you are well and the situation in Scotland is under control.
Do you have to stay at home?
Take care of yourself

Things are much the same here as in the rest of the UK. It’s all very scary. I have to self isolate just now as I came back from Tenerife last week. I’m lucky to have good friends who are keeping in touch with me every day. Take care.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West

Hi margherita thanks for the information I agree that far more are dying then is recorded unfortunately all governments are Not telling us the truth I’m 77 years old and never seen Countries around the World going into lock down for any flu virus well nothing because I live 5 miles from Nancekuke and this was keep secret for year and we were lied to by Government,

Nancekuke produced about 20 tons of the nerve gas Sarin between 1951 and 1976.

Local residents are concerned toxic waste may have been left behind, but the MoD said land around the base was unlikely to be affected by chemicals.

Public protection

Nancekuke was a secret government base which operated as a small-scale chemical production and research facility between 1951 and 1976.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi margherita thanks for the information I agree that far more are dying then is recorded unfortunately all governments are Not telling us the truth I’m 77 years old and never seen Countries around the World going into lock down for any flu virus well nothing because I live 5 miles from Nancekuke and this was keep secret for year and we were lied to by Government,

Nancekuke produced about 20 tons of the nerve gas Sarin between 1951 and 1976.

Local residents are concerned toxic waste may have been left behind, but the MoD said land around the base was unlikely to be affected by chemicals.

Public protection

Nancekuke was a secret government base which operated as a small-scale chemical production and research facility between 1951 and 1976.
And about the same time the British government with permission from the Australian govt. were conducting atomic testing at Maralinga in Sth. Australia. There was no regard for the aboriginal people and did not shelter them when they surrounded by a black mist from the detonations.

It is no surprise that many deaths occurred as a result of the testing.

:I am cynical enough to know that lots of things go on that various countries don't want us to know about. And I am not talking about conspiracy theories. I just think they go ahead and do things that they know we won't like but do it anywY.

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
Hello all, sorry for the radio silence up til now. Have been busy caring for dad and the past couple of months have just gone in the blink of an eye.

Is anyone else wondering if, as carers, there's anything they can be doing to help lower the risk of coronavirus?

I'm not panicking but am the kind of person who would rather be proactive as that stops me from worrying. I wondered if care homes are doing anything differently or if there's been advice anywhere for carers of people with compromised immune systems? Dad is being cared for at home but has different carers coming in, and also I'm conscious I could easily catch something and pass it on to him.

Thank you :)
Hi I am a live in carer in U.K. but live in Spain with mum who has dementia. I am home in Spain at mo and in 2nd week f total lockdown. From what I can understand in U.K. with live in carers at start no real advise except if they showed symptoms to isolate themselves for 14 days carer would not be replace. What has happened now is that carers have extended bookings for 4/ 6 months. Very difficult for them as it is a 24/7 job....

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi @Countryboy ,
i can see a lot of us being in this position in a few weeks time
Thank you for sharing
stay safe

margherita

May 30, 2017
And about the same time the British government with permission from the Australian govt. were conducting atomic testing at Maralinga in Sth. Australia. There was no regard for the aboriginal people and did not shelter them when they surrounded by a black mist from the detonations.
It is true Australia is far away from Europe, but I didn't find this news either in newspapers or in the internet. It must have been carefully concealed, mustn't it?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
It is true Australia is far away from Europe, but I didn't find this news either in newspapers or in the internet. It must have been carefully concealed, mustn't it?
It was a long time ago and I don't think people really understood the full implications of the events. Nobody appreciated the notion of the sovereignty of the indigenous people of the land and their sense of country so it was just the wide open spaces of the outback and not much good for anything. The land is supposed to have been cleaned but I am not sure how you do that when it was such a massive area.

It's the same with the stopping of the boats coming from Asia with refugees. Our country has border force boats that either stop or turn back boats but the government never tells us how many boats or people are involved on the grounds of national security, Loads of codswollop really. Any people smuggler worth their salt would know what is going on but we are to be kept in the dark.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Aged Mother no longer can use the phone

So i text the overstretched carers & ask how she is... coping well!

i wish i was .... the guilt is eating away at me

Do i abandon my asthmatic daughter & take my "vulnerable person " to care for Aged Mother?

Or do i put family first this time...?

oh i know the answer ... family first this time

logically Aged mother has everything in place she requires - 4 visits a day, painrelief etc she's mostly sleeping ....

but this isn't what i'd hoped for after the trauma of Dads passing.

So sadness is my new bedfellow ...

This disease has huge impacts on all aspects of life, that this is my major worry means i am one of the lucky ones!

stay safe & healthy folks xxxxxx

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My biggest complaint about living in Australia was that we are so isolated from the rest of the world and NZ is in the same boat. I love Europe but it takes me over a day in buses and aeroplanes to get there.

Now I am rather grateful that we can really close our borders tight so what happens now will be up to us. Our natural isolation can help us to a certain extent but how we care for our sick, how we help the vulnerable and how we emerge at the other end of all this will all come down to us.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My biggest complaint about living in Australia was that we are so isolated from the rest of the world and NZ is in the same boat. I love Europe but it takes me over a day in buses and aeroplanes to get there.

Now I am rather grateful that we can really close our borders tight so what happens now will be up to us. Our natural isolation can help us to a certain extent but how we care for our sick, how we help the vulnerable and how we emerge at the other end of all this will all come down to us.
My son is living in Melbourne & i have been keeping him updated on our situation !
stay safe

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Aged Mother no longer can use the phone

So i text the overstretched carers & ask how she is... coping well!

i wish i was .... the guilt is eating away at me

Do i abandon my asthmatic daughter & take my "vulnerable person " to care for Aged Mother?

Or do i put family first this time...?

oh i know the answer ... family first this time

logically Aged mother has everything in place she requires - 4 visits a day, painrelief etc she's mostly sleeping ....

but this isn't what i'd hoped for after the trauma of Dads passing.

So sadness is my new bedfellow ...

This disease has huge impacts on all aspects of life, that this is my major worry means i am one of the lucky ones!

stay safe & healthy folks xxxxxx
It maybe a sad decision but I think it is the right decision for what’s its worth. Your Mother has a care package in place and as you said she is mainly sleeping. So ‘whack’ that guilt monster and look after family including your vulnerable daughter