Coronavirus

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Well Im feeling very left out - no one has sent me a message at all.
I bet we wont get the letter either

Don't feel left out I've not got a text, I'm part of BT (plusnet via EE) I know people on Sky and 3 who have got them.
Services providers have to be clever how they send the message, they have to ensure they don't overload graphic areas.

You only get the letter if you are in one of the high risk categories

Who is at high risk?
You may be at high risk from coronavirus if you:

• have had an organ transplant
  • are having certain types of cancer treatment
  • have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
  • have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
  • have a condition that makes you much more likely to get infections
  • are taking medicine that weakens your immune system
  • are pregnant and have a serious heart condition
Information:
If you're at high risk, you will be contacted by the NHS by Sunday 29 March 2020. Do not contact your GP or healthcare team at this stage – wait to be contacted.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19 .

I believe it's up to GPs to report high risk cases.

All of this may change, all the NHS and GovUK coronavirus sites are currently in state of flux.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
14:45
Volunteer carers as well as professional ones included in exemption from stay-at-home rule, says Hancock
In the Commons David Davis, a former Conservative cabinet minister, asked for clarification about the line in the government guidelines saying people should be able to leave home to provide care or help for a vulnerable person. Davis said this should not just cover professional carers.
Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said that volunteer carers were included too. But wherever possible they should try to observe the two-metre rule, he said.
  • Volunteer carers are covered by the rules saying they do not need to stay at home as well as professionals, Hancock says.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@canary
Until the text of the high risk communication becomes public it's difficult to see what extra precautions can be added other than compulsory PPE.

It may be giving those concerned some form of priority access to NHS services.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've got none of those conditions but I don't like the terminology. People with cancer aren't high risk, they are highest risk. I'm high risk due to heart condition and diabetes. Don't take that away from me...

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
He wasn't running and this was the only thing he bought!

MaNaAk

I think I'd be staggering if I had to carry that many rolls!

One of my mum's hobbies is the endless folding of tissues into triangles and loo paper into fans; she stands them in piles.
Up until now I've always thrown them in the bin, but in these times of shortage, all of a sudden the mountains of tissues seem like a valuable resource, so they are 'recycled' and go into our bathroom.
I must say, we have the most neatly presented loo paper in the area!

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
My husband called at our local coop this morning on his way home from work (nights in care home), he tried to buy a loaf and 4 hot cross buns.....oh no not allowed he was told loudly by cashier....you can’t buy both as they are bread products and you can only have 1 bread product!!

He disagreed as the buns are sweet fruit buns and you can hardly make a sandwich......or bacon roll, but no he couldn’t have them.

Now I understand limiting people, and could even understand if he was buying normal bread rolls.....but not this.

He felt really embarrassed as people waiting, and he felt like he was being accused of bulk buying.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Further to https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/coronavirus.120807/post-1705449 .

The test of our Business Continuity Plan that we had completed last week has been successful, which means that our team are able to work remotely from home ensuring we can still provide you with the level of service you have come to expect from xxxx

Following the latest announcement from our Prime Minister we have followed his guidance and when considering this alongside the health and safety act, we have made the decision to close our call centre for the foreseeable future. You can still contact us by email at xxxx, or via Live Chat by visiting our website xxxx. If you are off supply you can contact us on 0345 xxxx or send us an email to emergencies@xxxx Please note our emergency number and emergency email is only for customers that are off supply, any calls relating to a non-emergency query will be directed through to our alternative contact route at help@xxxx

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My husband called at our local coop this morning on his way home from work (nights in care home), he tried to buy a loaf and 4 hot cross buns.....oh no not allowed he was told loudly by cashier....you can’t buy both as they are bread products and you can only have 1 bread product!!

He disagreed as the buns are sweet fruit buns and you can hardly make a sandwich......or bacon roll, but no he couldn’t have them.

Now I understand limiting people, and could even understand if he was buying normal bread rolls.....but not this.

He felt really embarrassed as people waiting, and he felt like he was being accused of bulk buying.

I can't understand it either! Also what will the cashier do when more people turn up to buy Hot Cross Buns and bread?

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I think I'd be staggering if I had to carry that many rolls!

One of my mum's hobbies is the endless folding of tissues into triangles and loo paper into fans; she stands them in piles.
Up until now I've always thrown them in the bin, but in these times of shortage, all of a sudden the mountains of tissues seem like a valuable resource, so they are 'recycled' and go into our bathroom.
I must say, we have the most neatly presented loo paper in the area!

My mum told that when I was a toddler I used keep folding hankies and I was very content to do this!

MaNaAk

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Just to lighten everyone's day .... a friend of my daughter lives on his own and had just about run out of loo roll. He popped to his local 'ethnic convenience/wine shop' and was bemoaning the lack of loo roll to the manager. 'Ahhh Mr **** I have just the thing for you' said the helpful proprietor, 'I bought some of these at the Cash and Carry and I can let you have a couple'. He then proceeded to bring out one of those cartwheel like loo rolls that they have in containers in public loos. Daughter's friend was happy to purchase the ginormous loo roll, which now occupies most of the available space in his loo. Good news is that it should last him many weeks!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
This Google translation of a blog in Dutch by an expat living near the place I frequent in France may indicate things to come.

"I preferred to stay completely at home, but there must be some provisions. In the Intermarché in Domfront, where they have oil for our stove and some things that the small shops in the village do not have, you have to wait outside in a row with 1.5 m. Spitting distance. A lady is standing at the entrance to steer the customer movement in the right direction. One out and one in. One person per family. Sniffers are refused.
On the way back we got control for the first time. Gendarmes with a pistol-machine gun. A boy of just adult checked us, the weapon at the ready. Where are you going and why. Do you have a justificatif? We signed that and we did. Next time each a separate form, if not 135 euro fine. We can now only 1 km. away from home to exercise or walk the dog or child. Cycling prohibited (why?). "

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I’m sorry to hear this .I didn’t realise your mum was quite down that path yet..Sending ((( Hugs))))?
this is the second week of issues. Carers couldn't rouse her again, shallow irregular breathing. Mums on butec patch & carers have requested pain meds review. Urine output low etc. it's just a slow shutdown of the body & mind.
Hope all well with you
xxxx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Just to lighten everyone's day .... a friend of my daughter lives on his own and had just about run out of loo roll. He popped to his local 'ethnic convenience/wine shop' and was bemoaning the lack of loo roll to the manager. 'Ahhh Mr **** I have just the thing for you' said the helpful proprietor, 'I bought some of these at the Cash and Carry and I can let you have a couple'. He then proceeded to bring out one of those cartwheel like loo rolls that they have in containers in public loos. Daughter's friend was happy to purchase the ginormous loo roll, which now occupies most of the available space in his loo. Good news is that it should last him many weeks!
????????

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

I had the food police when doing Mums shopping a couple of weeks ago ! A variety of cake & biscuits i pointed out each one was different & that the shelves were full of these products - Mr Kipling obviously not popular !
As i was purchasing less than the usual shop i didn't back down .... but had to handover all but 2 of the mini custard pots that seemed to have crept up in price!!! Won't be shopping there in future as was told they had stopped someone purchasing goods for a wake; i really did nearly loose my **** as they say...
Ones dead & another's at end of life have you no compassion?
The answer it's the rules!
Other customers nearby expressed their disgust for me! Really wouldn't have minded but no one was cleaning trolleys, & hello personal space & social distancing !

Wouldn't have minded but spoke to manager of store & checked Mums shopping trolley was ok! ?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Oh @DesperateofDevon, we've been through it doesn't make it any easier. Take care of yourself. Stay strong.
Thank you my lovely TP forum friends, i'm coming to terms with the circumstances as we all are. Just stay safe everyone & healthy.
So if i'm a little quiet as one wise contributor said i'm "self rescuing" a little!
Believe me i'm lucky, the care team looking after Mum have assured me she won't be on her own. Yes lucky, lucky they really care & lucky that we can access money to contribute to the cost. I'm praying that doesn't change in these extraordinary times. Stay safe & healthy ((((((((hugs))))))))))