Coronavirus

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Some people must have run out of toilet paper or be storing it as an assert.

There have been reports of fatbergs consisting of kitchen roll, shortage of cooking oils in the shops may contribute.
And I have heard of toilet paper being described as a 'valuable asset'! As was sanitizer and pasta! The world has gone crazy.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Tescos told me yesterday there isn't a shortage of any product, it's simply a case of not being able to transport the goods from the warehouses to the store quick enough.

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
I’d hope cleaners were good with basic hygiene @mickeyplum . Why don’t you call them and ask what precautions they have put in place to protect the more vulnerable and then decide?
Thanks I will call them. Trouble is, they both have adult kids living at home and I worry they could be unwittingly passing the virus round their family and on to us.
I've decided I will let them come - shame to deprive them of their income - and stay well away as much as possible, leaving their money in the hall to collect on their way out. I'm luckier than some and can take my husband out for a short drive till they've done the living room.
Oh well, I suppose it gives us as carers a lot more to think about than the mind-numbing daily grind. Not meaning to trivulise. It will be awful not seeing family, especially grandchildren, for the forseeable future. A new great- grandson is due in June so looks like our first meeting with him will be though the patio window. Just praying the pregnancy goes well for our grandaughter

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Thanks I will call them. Trouble is, they both have adult kids living at home and I worry they could be unwittingly passing the virus round their family and on to us.
I've decided I will let them come - shame to deprive them of their income - and stay well away as much as possible, leaving their money in the hall to collect on their way out. I'm luckier than some and can take my husband out for a short drive till they've done the living room.
Oh well, I suppose it gives us as carers a lot more to think about than the mind-numbing daily grind. Not meaning to trivulise. It will be awful not seeing family, especially grandchildren, for the forseeable future. A new great- grandson is due in June so looks like our first meeting with him will be though the patio window. Just praying the pregnancy goes well for our grandaughter
That's something good to look forward too,I was a pessimist for many years but changed the way I looked at life only a few months ago as it ended up causing me more stress as everything looked bleak,I now look for the positives in life and feel much better for it

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
CORONAVIRUS DAILY UPDATE: 18/03/2020

BBC News Special
18 Mar 2020 - 4:30pm - 6:00pm
BBC1
SUMMARY
The latest developments, including a government news conference in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
That's something good to look forward too,I was a pessimist for many years but changed the way I looked at life only a few months ago as it ended up causing me more stress as everything looked bleak,I now look for the positives in life and feel much better for it
After all my fretting, the cleaner called to cancel - her cousin has the virus and they'd been in contact with each other. Looks like a mucky house for a few weeks , though I can do enough myself to at least make it look like the cleaners have been!
Yes we must try to retain our optimism in spite of feeling like we are going under on so many days. If I wasn't a born-again- atheist I would tell you there must be an extra-special place up there in Heaven for carers like us. ...maybe with 24-hour room-service, a well-stocked bar, and George Clooney mixing the cocktails.
Ahem, I think my first choice would be Robert Mitcham

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hi everyone,

I've just posted an update about the temporary suspension of Alzheimer's Society face-to-face and group services. This is a difficult decision for us to make and I'm sharing all the information I have at the moment. If you're part of a local group or service you are likely to hear an update from them soon.

Please keep on using Talking Point, give our Dementia Connect Support Line a call on 0333 150 3456 or find out about our online support here: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementiaconnect

Thanks,

Serena

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Many members will have seen this

I've emailed a selection of supermarkets suggesting that they play the audio at regular intervals over their sound systems.

I dread to think how much of the fresh produce is going to end up thrown away.

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
This morning I heard that people who bought multiple packages of toilet roll at Costco are now trying to return them - presumable because sanity returned - but Costco is refusing to allow the returns. Very unusual for Costco who have an extremely easy return policy. But I think in this case there are concerns of contamination. Plus, serves those people right

There is the video of the American man who figured out how long one pack of toilet roll from Costco would last. He's quite funny. I saw it on TV but couldn't find a link.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Good I am glad about that, serves them right. A pack of toilet rolls lasts us for ages also where the hell do they store all of this stuff.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I am quite relieved, my Tesco order arrived this afternoon and although there were several substitutions I was very surprised that I received most of the things I ordered, the missing items were soap and hand wash. My nearest supermarket is 40 miles away so I rely on the delivery especially now when I can't take mum with me.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I am quite relieved, my Tesco order arrived this afternoon and although there were several substitutions I was very surprised that I received most of the things I ordered, the missing items were soap and hand wash. My nearest supermarket is 40 miles away so I rely on the delivery especially now when I can't take mum with me.
That was good how long ago did you book the order?

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
I wish a pack of toilet roll lasted us ages, but dad is currently pooing himself two-three times a day. And they will be runny.

However, i'm probably more productive working from home for the last couple of days and we are currently weening off carers visits. Down to one a day now, soon to be zero.

My line manager has allowed me to be flexible with work hours, which means im currently starting work early 6-7, getting dad up and washed and dressed around 8-9, working through to midday and eating lunch with dad. Working until 4 and then sitting with him during the late afternoon when he starts to get aggitated (sundowning) carer comes at 5 to sit with him and give dinner while i work for a bit.

The last two days ive felt calmer and sleeping better.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
For those who can't get soap:

You only pay p&p which was £1.77 for me.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
This morning I heard that people who bought multiple packages of toilet roll at Costco are now trying to return them - presumable because sanity returned - but Costco is refusing to allow the returns. Very unusual for Costco who have an extremely easy return policy. But I think in this case there are concerns of contamination. Plus, serves those people right

There is the video of the American man who figured out how long one pack of toilet roll from Costco would last. He's quite funny. I saw it on TV but couldn't find a link.

Who can remember?
A few years ago there was a programme about saving money/house cleaning?

What stayed with me was a lady who could make a roll of loo paper last for weeks, mainly because I was always intrigued by "how"?

Her mantra was " One for a wee, two for a poo".

Maybe we should find that lady / use that in an advertising campaign.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I usually book a slot each week but at the moment I am booking ahead to ensure a weekly slot.
Ok thanks,I will have to look in to that,it would be nice for me to avoid people at the shops as I have type 2 diabetes,but we still have 8 carers entering our house each day so I can't do much about that

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
I’ve not been well all week and just tried to book an online grocery order but it says they have suspended new registrations - I’ve had an online account since 2015 and used it for emergencies!

I care for my mother who has advanced dementia, no relatives or outside help and I have an underlying medical condition that means I should also self isolate but no online shopping means I’ll have to go out.

Mum used a half bottle of washing up liquid today to wash two cups and the loo roll I put in the bathroom this morning has about ten sheets left - she has a ‘thing’ about paper, tissues, loo rolls, kitchen paper and it was easier to just keep buying them in before this happened.

She’s also more anxious and generally difficult and I’m getting hardly any rest or sleep.

I’ve had to be practical and organised but Covid 19 on top of living with a person with dementia feels too much to cope with.

Apologies for the moan.

Everyone take care and stay well x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej