Coronavirus

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
It seems the community nurses where we live are doing up a list of high priority patients to visit as they are going to be spending more time on testing. From what I gather dad won't be considered high priority as he has family who can give his injections. This is perfectly fair, I will need to ensure I am working from home and not just on leave.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Does this make sense? The CH where my friend‘s partner is stopped all visiting last week, today they are phoning round asking for volunteers to go in and help! Madness!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Does this make sense?

Yes.
With open visiting there could be many visitors, with a smaller number of specific volunteers the number will be greatly reduced and exposure reduced by the same ratio.
Even without any staff shortages there could well be effectively short staffed as relatives may have been helping in feeding residents and ensuring they were well hydrated.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
CORONAVIRUS DAILY UPDATE: 17/03/2020

BBC News Special
17 Mar 2020 - 3:45pm - 6:00pm
BBC 1

SUMMARY
All the latest including a news conference by the prime minister, Boris Johnson, and the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, as the UK responds to the coronavirus pandemic.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
CORONAVIRUS DAILY UPDATE: 17/03/2020

BBC News Special
17 Mar 2020 - 3:45pm - 6:00pm
BBC 1

SUMMARY
All the latest including a news conference by the prime minister, Boris Johnson, and the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, as the UK responds to the coronavirus pandemic.

Thank you @nitram , will tune in, we keep missing the PM probably because we only put the TV on for the 6 o'clock bulletin.
It's like living in a science fiction story at the moment, we still can't get our heads around 'how we live now'.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Does this make sense? The CH where my friend‘s partner is stopped all visiting last week, today they are phoning round asking for volunteers to go in and help! Madness!
Yes, it does make sense. I think there may have been local authority briefings in which volunteers are seen as a way forward.
Warmest, Kindred

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My energy suppliers have become proactive to guard against closure of their offices.

"To test the effectiveness of our business continuity plan, we will within the next couple of weeks instruct all our employees to temporarily work from home. During this short test period, telephone lines will be turned off and all customer services employees will be diverted to supporting customers via our online chat, or by email. We fully intend for this course of action to be a test only for our analysis, with the aim of employees returning to our head office once the exercise is over. "

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
I know everyone is anxious about this and I’ve been following it all closely. I understand why but was dreading this day when my mum phoned to say she’s not allowed to visit my dad at all In his care home. Both are 74 and married over 50 years and in the 3 years he has been in care she has only missed one day. She visits 2-7pm daily and she is absolutely devastated and so am I .
I know there’s nothing I can do about it but can’t stop crying right now, thinking of my poor heartbroken mum and my dad, who she feels will forget her if she doesn’t see him for weeks on end.
Sorry, I know everyone is going through a lot and wish everyone strength and health but just wanted to put it down to see if I could feel better and clear my head ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I know everyone is anxious about this and I’ve been following it all closely. I understand why but was dreading this day when my mum phoned to say she’s not allowed to visit my dad at all In his care home. Both are 74 and married over 50 years and in the 3 years he has been in care she has only missed one day. She visits 2-7pm daily and she is absolutely devastated and so am I .
I know there’s nothing I can do about it but can’t stop crying right now, thinking of my poor heartbroken mum and my dad, who she feels will forget her if she doesn’t see him for weeks on end.
Sorry, I know everyone is going through a lot and wish everyone strength and health but just wanted to put it down to see if I could feel better and clear my head ?

Your poor mum, hard to get our heads round I know. I've decided that if I can't visit my mum I'm going to send her parcels with different things in every couple of weeks. As mothers day is approaching I'm putting together a mothers day parcel. I know its not like visiting but beats nothing . Hope you feel more able once the tears stop and can think.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
My energy suppliers have become proactive to guard against closure of their offices.

"To test the effectiveness of our business continuity plan, we will within the next couple of weeks instruct all our employees to temporarily work from home. During this short test period, telephone lines will be turned off and all customer services employees will be diverted to supporting customers via our online chat, or by email. We fully intend for this course of action to be a test only for our analysis, with the aim of employees returning to our head office once the exercise is over. "

So tough luck if you are elderly, isolated at home, experience a problem and do not own a computer!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I honestly do not understand the mindset of people thinking this is all just scaremongering. Countries and entire continents do not take decisions like they do now out of a whim. They do not tank the economy for fun. This is serious, it's a virus that kills, with no vaccine like the flu, where people unlike with SARS can infect others while symptomless, spreading it around wildly. The flu still kills because the vaccine isn't a 100% effective and not everyone gets the jab. But because a lot of people do it doesn't kill millions. So please stay at home, wash your hands and be safe - this will also keep others safe.
No, obviously it's is not just all scaremongering. But when people react illogically and do things that do not make sense, then of course they are scared. Scared of what ? This virus is a respiratory disease so what drove thousands of people to buy huge amounts of toilet paper?

How many bags of rice do you really need to get you through a few weeks, considering that you already have umpteen packets of pasta in the cupboard?

If everybody had remained sensible and continued to shop as normal, then we all would be fine. I understand that this virus is dangerous for many people but this is a time for common sense not crazy irrational behavior.

Sensationalism in some parts of the media (and you only have to look at the headlines of some UK dailies in the last day or so) , the amount of time TV devoted to the topic giving 'latest information' about the virus and which is mostly just a rehash of old stuff without any new items and then there are the parasites who are doing things like selling fake testing kits.

There is much false information around and people are not stopping to question what is sensible and what isn't. The fear about this virus is far more infectious and dangerous than the virus itself. When people start brawling over a few rolls of toilet paper, we need to question if this extreme fear is justified or reasonable.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
This virus is a respiratory disease so what drove thousands of people to buy huge amounts of toilet paper?

My personal theory is that people are scared and as a consequence are going to the loo more frequently than normal, but apparently people are psychologically drawn to toilet paper during a crisis. This is then fuelled by media images of people pushing trolleys full of toilet paper. It's a vicious cycle - once they're on a roll they can't stop: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-are-people-panic-buying-and-why-toilet-paper-11952397

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Apparently they are queuing to buy guns in the US now that is scary.

There were no potatoes in Sainsburys today, not even the instant type. I had a wander round to see what else is getting low and it was tinned fish and snack food like crisps and I also noticed that there was less alcohol on the shelves than yesterday. I think if the pubs close then alcohol will be disappearing fast so if you like a tipple it may be time to get a wee stock.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I go through a lot of toilet paper. I'm on diuretics and also suffer from IBS, with stress causing extra diarrhoea. I did buy quite a few packs, but not in the last days. It was done over many months for my Brexit stockpile, so I don't feel guilty now. I think people buy it as it's seen as essential, it doesn't go off and it would be embarrassing to run out. And who has a bidet at home? Panic buying is rubbish but I'm glad I got essentials in the last few months that I don't have to worry about now. No one knows how long this situation is going to go on for - normal life seems to be postponed for now as everything is closing down bit by bit.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I go through a lot of toilet paper. I'm on diuretics and also suffer from IBS, with stress causing extra diarrhoea. I did buy quite a few packs, but not in the last days. It was done over many months for my Brexit stockpile, so I don't feel guilty now. I think people buy it as it's seen as essential, it doesn't go off and it would be embarrassing to run out. And who has a bidet at home? Panic buying is rubbish but I'm glad I got essentials in the last few months that I don't have to worry about now. No one knows how long this situation is going to go on for - normal life seems to be postponed for now as everything is closing down bit by bit.
In Australia, we have no need to import toilet paper as it is manufactured here. The makers have gone into 24 hour production to cope with the demand so there is absolutely no need for anyone to be stockpiling it in this country. My local Aldi's told me that they have plenty in their wharehouse but just do not have the trucks to keep on transporting it to the shops to keep up with the demand.

I understand that there are people who require a reasonable supply of toilet paper but I can't quite believe that anxiety about the virus has resulted in a generalized diarrhea across so many countries.

I think that the frantic stockpiling of all sorts of things including staple food items is a very selfish thing with a total lack of a sense of community, of sharing what we have when things get tough, of supporting others when confronted with scary times and an absence of kindness of the human spirit.

If it wasn't quite so grotty, it would be funny.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Some people must have run out of toilet paper or be storing it as an asset.

There have been reports of fatbergs consisting of kitchen roll, shortage of cooking oils in the shops may contribute.

Last edited: