Coronavirus

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
As for care homes making their own decisions, perhaps those that have closed to all visitors will review the situation as time goes on and realize they need assistance from relatives with personal experience.

I guess that homes that took the decision to stop all visitors prior to the issuing of the new guidance might well now review their actions. As the guidance states, the wellbeing benefits to residents from seeing friends/relatives also needs to be considered - it's a balancing act. Mum's care home is still open to visitors so I'll continue to go as normal unless I start feeling unwell. They have loads of posters up about hand washing, and plenty of sanitiser also available, so just have to hope that other visitors are also sensible and take the necessary precautions.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother's home has sent out some very useful guidelines. At the moment our area doesn't have a lot of cases so family can visit as long as they take the obvious and sensible precautions. We'll be told if (I guess most likely) that changes. In the meantime no entertainment, hairdressers etc, though the nurse and doctor will visit as usual.
My husband has gone to see his mum today. We weren't at all sure if it was a sensible idea, but he can't go for the next two weeks so thought it was best to go while he could as advice about travel etc could change. She lives at home and her younger two children are her carers. if they couldn't visit, she would be in serious trouble as she can't do a lot for herself anymore.
I was going to visit my brother and family today, but as he is still very frail after being seriously ill for nearly a yearm we agreed yesterday that it probably wasn't a very good idea

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Mums care home is now closed to all visitors, this decision was made late yesterday. To be fair they do have some very vulnerble residents and Covid-19 would certainly knock them off their feet for the worse. They couldn't tell me how long this will last at the moment.

Its not great as mum needs visitors, but as things are its best to be safe than sorry

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother moved from her retirement home to her nursing home just as the SARS disease hit. I don't remember exactly but I think it was at least 3 weeks before we were allowed to visit. Then there was a gastric bug so they closed again. It was a difficult time.

2015 was also a bad year for closures at her home. It felt like every time we turned around, they were closed for another week or two. If we had insisted, we could have visited, but I think that would have been irresponsible and disrespectful on our part. We just endured.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I've just called Haematology to change my next appointment into a phone consultation as I believe it's all about blood test results anyway. They were really understanding and said they would do that with other patients too. This government might not care whether I live or die but I'm not sacrificing myself on the altar of "herd immunity", thank you.
@Dimpsy I work for myself and things were already tight because I'd taken half the work this year to help with dad. Now I think most of my work (in events) will be cancelled.
i can sympathise, i'm not booking events for the foreseeable future.
online market place is an option.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
@DesperateofDevon stressful times all round eh. But it's okay, it's for the right reasons.
i've always held off online selling , but can see this could be an option. At the moment i'm taking time out & piecing self back together after having a nervous breakdown after Dads passing.
i'm lucky as mortgage finished last year, & OH pay now covers everything. Self rescue as one wise TP poster said comes first! My family is a happier healthier unit for it, & i am slowly starting to become familiar with the person looking back at me in the mirror.

hope you all stay healthy during this time
(((((hugs )))))) to all
xx

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
We hear on the news about how large companies are being affected, airlines etc, my heart is with the people who serve us in the community, hairdresser's, café staff, small shop's. I hope there will be help and support for them.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
i've always held off online selling , but can see this could be an option. At the moment i'm taking time out & piecing self back together after having a nervous breakdown after Dads passing.
i'm lucky as mortgage finished last year, & OH pay now covers everything. Self rescue as one wise TP poster said comes first! My family is a happier healthier unit for it, & i am slowly starting to become familiar with the person looking back at me in the mirror.

hope you all stay healthy during this time
(((((hugs )))))) to all
xx
I’m sorry to hear you have been through such a painful time @DesperateofDevon , but glad you are taking time out to look after yourself , it’s good to see you back here , you have been missed . ? . X

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
We hear on the news about how large companies are being affected, airlines etc, my heart is with the people who serve us in the community, hairdresser's, café staff, small shop's. I hope there will be help and support for them.
Hope the government will help the smaller businesses first before bailouts for large corporations with shareholders. Lots of shareholders dividends have been paid out over the years it is a temporary glitch in the big scheme of things & time to support the investment they made profits from. ( not just live in tax havens counting their vast fortunes while those that work for them struggle & lose their lively hoods!!!!!)

Walt Disney - a huge corporation is paying all its staff full pay during their closures.......
if they can do it so can others - those annual profits declared each year can now be put to ensuring the employees financial survival .

it's all over the news about having care & compassion for others during this crisis surely that expands into businesses as well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have my milk delivered in glass bottles.

I had an email from the milk company to reassure me all drivers have hand sanitizers on the vans and are instructed to use them between each delivery.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I have my milk delivered in glass bottles.

I had an email from the milk company to reassure me all drivers have hand sanitizers on the vans and are instructed to use them between each delivery.
i am looking into milk delivery for mum but as it's a rural area it's a disappearing service! Maybe a return to daily deliveries?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My deliveries are Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

It`s more expensive than supermarket milk but worth it to me to use less plastic.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Just appeared on the BBC News

"Action to isolate the UK's over-70s for an extended period to shield them from coronavirus is planned in the coming weeks, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has confirmed.

He told Sky News the measure "is a very big ask of the elderly and vulnerable, but it is for their own protection"."

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Just seen that the over 70s will be put on lockdown. After 4 months at home with mum 24/7 I may need psychiatric care

Hmm hard times ahead for carers. I am glad mum is in a CH because if she was at home she'd be wanting to go out everyday and driving me round the twist in the process as thngs are at the moment. Wishing you a mentally well quarantine

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Just had difficult conversation with student son. He will go on lockdown with us so that if his aunt gets it (she looks after other nana) , or it all gets too much for her, then he will go and support her in caring. The other two children will be errand girls to both groups.(they have their own homes and husband)

I am really proud of my children

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
It’s all very well saying over 70s to be isolated at home for months, but as usual no thought about the many hundreds of thousands who rely on daily care visits. Are they suggesting people needing care will just be abandoned? That would send the death rate up nicely! Many people don’t have family on hand to step in and become carers full time, what about them? What about over 70s who are fit and well generally and are themselves providing care and support to older relatives not living with them, as a cousin does for my dad? No wonder people are panicking!

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Agreed. I think its irresponsible of the govt to issue statements like that without any clarity or guidance. It leads to more unnecessary stress.