Coronavirus

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
you can request a home audiologist visit via referral from your GP.
hope that helps
Thank you. The memory clinic nurse has referred her for a home visit so I think we will stick with that and hope it isn't too long a wait. This particular nurse is so helpful, out of all the various medical and social work people I've had to deal with she seems the best at getting practical things organised.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother's care home called me this morning to say they have decided to stop visitors, to safeguard both the residents and staff.

I visited yesterday, no idea when I will visit next (I normally visit every 2 or 3 weeks).

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I work for a tourist attraction and have spent the day taking group cancellations. Not surprised in the slightest, but I don't know how many small companies are going to survive in the coming weeks /months.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Dimpsy I work for myself and things were already tight because I'd taken half the work this year to help with dad. Now I think most of my work (in events) will be cancelled.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
@Dimpsy I work for myself and things were already tight because I'd taken half the work this year to help with dad. Now I think most of my work (in events) will be cancelled.

I'm so sorry to hear that @Kay111, it's a real headache for employed and self employed and I think for large companies as well as us small fry.
We haven't had a single new booking today for later in the year either, add that to the group cancellations for this spring, and we'll be sat twiddling our thumbs (or out on our ears!). Pre-booked coach groups are only a small percentage of our visitors, mostly families etc just turn up on the day, and I'm sure day visitors will be staying away as well.
Our lives will be a different place for many of us when this is over.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hi everyone,

From what I've seen, many of you have questions and concerns about Coronavirus COVID-19 and particularly how you can stay safe and healthy, and also continue to care for people with dementia in the best way.

There’s a lot of information out there. But not all of it is trustworthy. The situation is also changing quite quickly.

I've put this notice together to help everyone on Talking Point:

>COVID-19 and advice for people affected by dementia<

I hope this is helpful. Please continue to post on this thread and do contact our support line if you have questions about dementia.

Thanks.

Serena
Talking Point Team

Last edited:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thank you Serena. I thought your post about evaluating information was very timely. I used to be a school librarian before I retired and spent a lot of time talking to pupils about checking sources. I do know how easy it is to get misled, specially in such a fast moving situation.

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
My mum (PWD) lives with me, I'm currently still going to work although will start working from home a couple of days a week from next week.
Wondering if I should be staying indoors as much as possible to try avoid getting the virus, or if I'm overreacting.
If I get the virus I'd need to move out I guess? My brother could possibly stay.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
My mum (PWD) lives with me, I'm currently still going to work although will start working from home a couple of days a week from next week.
Wondering if I should be staying indoors as much as possible to try avoid getting the virus, or if I'm overreacting.
If I get the virus I'd need to move out I guess? My brother could possibly stay.
Aye, i'm in a similar situation with my dad, my workplace currently dont consider me high risk, so cant start working from home. It especially worries me when care homes say people shouldnt visit, when the reality is my dad should probably be in a care facility.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum's nursing home has contacted us today to say that they are shutting to visitors initially for a week but will be an ongoing review. Haven't been in for a week as I've had a cold (yes it is just a cold :))

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I'm going out of the house very little but that's easier for me as I'm at home full time with mum,I have stopped going out so often to the shop though and will probably stay in during the day and shop late,mind you I have just got back from Tescos 20 minutes ago and it was a lot busier than I thought it would be,before that I was in Aldi and to be honest I was a bit paranoid about standing with people in a big queue.
The trolley guy in Tescos said it has been like Xmas day every day in the store for the last 2 weeks,I was only picking up a couple of things but I did note that the toilet paper aisle was completely empty.I might do an online shop in the future perhaps every 3 weeks and just pop to the local store for milk.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
We have had our first confirmed Coronavirus case in New Zealand.
A NZ citizen who was in Iran, stopping over in Bali, back home was unwell a day after arriving back. Is now in isolation in hospital and his family are in quarantine at their home. They are trying to inform all people that would have been on the same flight.
People are going mad at supermarkets trying to stock up on food, water, & essentials.

My Mum is in care and Management are keeping a close eye on the situation.

My husband and I are meant to be going overseas end of April for a much needed holiday
I was on a cruise ship with stopovers down the east coast of New Zealand ten days ago. I must say I loved the cruise and loved
New Zealand it is so beautiful. The people then were pleased that they hadn't had a reportable case. I guess it is inevitable with world travel so common now. The panic buying is amazing! What will people do with that huge stockpile of toilet paper in the future? Maybe turn it into Christmas streamers?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I called in at my local nursery this morning and the owner said that he is hopeful when all the sporting venues, theatres, convention centers close down temporarily that people might start spending time in their gardens and that his business might actually improve.

My daughter went shopping in the town centre this morning and said it was quiet and my local supermarket looked like it was business as usual.

And NZ is going to insist on all people arriving there that they self isolate for 2 weeks..

And our PM thought it might be better if he skipped the Rugby.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Well I spoke to OHs care company and they were a bit wishy washy. They did say any carers who show symptoms or who come into contact with someone who is showing symptoms will be required to self isolate for 7 days the current guidelines.0 If there are a number of carers who need to do that then all domestic calls (cleaning) will be suspended to release those carers to cover personal care calls. At the end of the day I suppose it's difficult for them and decisions will need to be made as or when a situation arises.
OH is good in the mornings I could care for him by myself but needs two at night to help him as he gets tired but I could revert to using the hoist.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
I have just heard that the Care Minister will be speaking and answering questions on BBC 1 News program at 8.10 this morning. Could be interesting to hear what she/he has to say.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I'm worried that mum being bedbound and if carers end up not visiting because too many of them ill or perhaps they can't visit as mum is ill, that mum may be removed from our home,we need 2 carers for each call
Will care be with withdrawn if somebody that receives care at home has coronavirus that's the question I suppose

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It was interesting but no real answers with regards to what would happen if there are not enough care staff available, bearing in mind there are currently 120k vacancies within the social care sector. The funding allocated to the NHS is apparently also to be spent on social care. It was suggested that those who are already trained in care but working in other jobs may volunteer to assist if required. The government posted new guidance yesterday with information for care providers, aimed at LA's, CCG's, care companies etc. The plan is that the authorities will all work together to 'plug any gaps' in care: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-care-supported-living-and-home-care-guidance

The minister stated that it was not their advice that care homes should shut to visitors and there needed to be sustainable solutions to a situation that may last weeks/months. Their advice was that those who develop a new cough or high temperature should not visit care homes, but it is up to individual care homes to make decisions about visiting:

To minimise the risk of transmission, care home providers are advised to review their visiting policy, by asking no one to visit who has suspected COVID-19 or is generally unwell, and by emphasising good hand hygiene for visitors. Contractors on site should be kept to a minimum. The review should also consider the wellbeing of residents, and the positive impact of seeing friends and family.

Last edited:

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
As you say Louise, no real answers (as expected). Don't quite know how care providers could work together to plug gaps when they are all in the same boat, ie already short of staff. As for care homes making their own decisions, perhaps those that have closed to all visitors will review the situation as time goes on and realize they need assistance from relatives with personal experience. The Care Minister did talk about calling on volunteers with appropriate skills and surely the best people for that would be relatives who have fulfilled that role already,