Coronavirus

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve realised the toilet paper obsession may be because people fear a 14 day isolation if they have been in contact.

I think the fear, not only is from the media but because it is a novel virus and we haven`t been able to build up any natural immunity.

It does seem to be a rapidly spreading virus so I feel it`s better safe than sorry.

I should have paid a deposit on an Italian holiday for November. So far no one is asking for that deposit.

I have always patted myself on the back as far as my natural immunity is concerned but this year two back to back viral infections made me quite ill. I`ve never been housebound for a cough and cold before so have recognised my immunity is not as good as it was.

I don`t think it is scaremongering.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I`ve realised the toilet paper obsession may be because people fear a 14 day isolation if they have been in contact.

I think that some sections of the media posting photos of empty shop shelves and people with huge amounts of toilet rolls doesn't help. People see this and then go into panic mode - the same thing happened when the media suggested that there would be a shortage of loo rolls due to Brexit. When I went to the supermarket on Thursday there was hardly any loo roll left, and soap, hand wash, bacterial wipes had all sold out. There are also mixed messages from the Government, first advising people not to panic buy then advising people to stock up with essentials :confused: Also factor in that increased stress can result in more toilet visits and it's a vicious cycle.......

Diggles

Mar 7, 2020
Good Morning. I've just joined after finding this forum by accident whilst wondering what to do about Dad and Coronavirus and at the same time how to sort his broken washing machine. Dad has Alzheimers, lives alone and is tough and independent, but struggling. I am 180 miles away. I think this Forum is going to be of great support. Already excellent help on both topics.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I feel fear lowers the immune response but that said I am concerned that the care company cannot provide care. To work from home would need very long arms!

I have always kept a good cupboard of staples.
I have noticed that delivery slots are scarce and several items missing from orders including toilet rolls. That may even out whe the homes are stocked.
So back to basics, soap and water works well if used properly.
Vinegar for cleaning, a dash in water for general, more for particular.

Above all stay cheerful, boosts the immune system at least!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I think that some sections of the media posting photos of empty shop shelves and people with huge amounts of toilet rolls doesn't help. People see this and then go into panic mode - the same thing happened when the media suggested that there would be a shortage of loo rolls due to Brexit. When I went to the supermarket on Thursday there was hardly any loo roll left, and soap, hand wash, bacterial wipes had all sold out. There are also mixed messages from the Government, first advising people not to panic buy then advising people to stock up with essentials :confused: Also factor in that increased stress can result in more toilet visits and it's a vicious cycle.......
:) Too right! The toilet visits made me smile!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Just one example of what I was thinking about the amount of time devoted to this virus on television (and so much if it highly repetitive) is the reports that Asian restaurants were going out of business because people were afraid of being exposed to this disease.

I was in Melbourne one day last week and all of the Asian restaurants and fast food shops were doing very well indeed. I had a delicious green curry chicken for lunch along with a few dozen others who ate at the same place.

There were reports that masks had been sold out but if that is the case I don't know where they all are because I think I saw no more than four people wearing one.

I think that the press can't help themselves and just can't resist a little sensationalism. Do we really need it to be headline news that one more person has proven positive for corona virus?

I think the funniest advice I heard was that while this virus is present in the community you shouldn't kiss your pets in case you gave them the virus .

My perspective is that in a country the size of Australia, with a population of 25million, my chances of being exposed to this virus are pretty thin. It may happen but the probability is against that happening. So I try to keep it in perspective which means that I am not getting too bothered at the moment. That might change some time in the future but that's the time to get concerned, just not now.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
This morning the headline in the Daily Telegraph is ‘visit elderly relatives before they must isolate’. The article talks of social distancing policies. While I understand that this virus is serious and extreme measures may have to be taken, I am concerned that the men in Whitehall have no idea of the effect of this. I have written to my MP to ask her to make sure that they are aware of the effect, not on the elderly and PWD, but on the carers. like many of you, I am my husbands sole carer and with him 24/7. He doesn’t hear and his speech is indecipherable, so we have no conversation. If we are to be isolated here for any length of time, I fear for my sanity!!!

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi everyone,
Here in Italy things are getting worse, even though media and politicians are trying to reassure people.

I had not been particularly worried until this morning when my son ( who is currently living in Rome) called me . He sounded quite alarmed ( which is very unusual of him) and insisted on my staying at home as much as possible to avoid catching covid 19.
A friend of his , who works as a paramedic in the intensive care of one of the biggest hospitals in Milan , had told him that yesterday as many as a hundred people , all of them with covid19, had been admitted to hospital. Most of them were in need of intensive care and intubation ( assisted ventilation was not enough) , but they didn't have all the beds which were required. So they were faced with the hard decision to choose which of those patients would be properly cured and which of them wouldn't.
Besides he said that only 80% were old people ( older than 75). The others were in their forties or thirties and to his surprise, ( it is odd, but I have no reason to believe it is untrue) it was just for the younger patients that assisted ventilation (the oxygen mask ) was ineffective .
Luckily ( in the present predicament only!) we live in a godforsaken place and have no relatives or friends who visit us.
A long afternoon and evening are waiting for me, with OH asking every ten minutes why we can't go out...

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I saw that headline in the Telegraph ( somebody else’s!), didn’t like the English nor the assumption that all the elderly would have to isolate. Surely isolate means being by yourself, so why self-isolate!
plus what is elderly, 60, 70, 75, or 80? I’ve seen them all quoted.
I think Coronavirus has got to everyone’s brain and disposed of their ability to write sentences that are clear!
If I had to go into isolation, I shall end up eating all the food in the house with no fresh fruit or veg at all. Not my style!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I took self isolate to mean that the isolation was self imposed acting on advice, not a command.

what is elderly, 60, 70, 75, or 80? I’ve seen them all quoted.

I think the older you are the less effective your autoimmune system becomes, it's a continuum not a cut off point.
The NHS subscribes to this thinking, substitute older person for elderly

Generally, someone over the age of 65 might be considered an older person. However, it is not easy to apply a strict definition because people can biologically age at different rates so, for example, someone aged 75 may be healthier than someone aged 60. Instead of simply age, ‘frailty’ has a bigger impact on their likelihood to require care and support.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/clinical-policy/older-people/improving-care-for-older-people/ .

The same site also says

More than one in five of us are already over 60, and the number of people over 60 is expected to increase from 14.9 million in 2014 to 18.5 million in 2025 (ONS, 2015)

75% of 75 year olds in the UK have more than one long term condition, rising to 82% of 85 year olds (Barnett et al, 2012)

Between 2007/08 and 2013/14 the numbers of A&E attendances by people aged 60 or over increased by two-thirds, a steeper increase than is expected by demographic change alone (NHS England data, 2015)

If we don’t improve the way we provide support to older people then the NHS will struggle to meet the increasing demand for resources as well as changing patient needs.

Note the increase in long term conditions with age, many of these will be respiratory or cardiovascular which will affect the survival from COVID-19

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I'm still perplexed as to why people are buying huge quantities of toilet rolls! Even if a family had to self isolate for two weeks, would they really need hundreds of rolls? I saw a lady with a trolley load of eight packs of 24 rolls ie 192 rolls and she told the cashier that she already had over 100 rolls in her house! Maybe she had loads of children! I think the supermarket should restrict how much one person can buy to stop this silly behaviour.

I've not bought anything extra, I usually have a well stocked larder but I would miss my fresh fruit and veg - however if I couldn't pop out to the shops I would lose weight as my stash of crisps, biscuits and chocolate would soon run out!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Just messaged dau - she is on her last toilet roll so is going out tomorrow to buy some - I wished her luck! She thinks others in her flat have plenty and knows her boyfriend has plenty so she'll be ok.

I bought a pack of 9 just before xmas and we've just finished them - no idea why people need so much.

We use more over xmas as not at work/school as well. As OH said you can make do without toilet roll - but do need food.

Costco only had the industrial rolls of toilet roll - and were limiting customers to one pack of 6 rolls. Also spotted they were limiting large sacks of rice - but not bags!

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I think its very clear that we are being told face masks are useless because there s been a shortage for some time and they want to keep them for the NHS.
I think it would be helpful to even wear a scarf to discourage touching of the face .

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
Suggestion if short of toilet roll fill washing up liquid bottle with warm soapy water to squirt and wash bum first.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Recipe for home made hand sanitizer if you don't think you can get by without it or can't find anything at the shops.

Lavender oil undiluted 5-10 drops

Tea tree oil undiluted 30 drops

3 ounces high proof vodka

1 ounce aloe Vera gel

1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (as a softener)

Gently mix the 2 essential oils, then add the vodka and stir gently. Add the aloe Vera and Vitamin E oil and mix well. Use a squirt bottle and shake gently before using.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I always use toilet paper if I have a bad cold. It’s far more economical than tissues and can be flushed away. I always have a pack of 6 in hand, I work on open the last one, buy another, just as I would a box of teabags. I see no reason to stock pile.

My two local supermarkets have no hand sanitiser but there appears to be no shortage of anything else.

Soroptimist

Jun 10, 2018
Thanks @Lawson58 for the recipe! I might try to make that. It's the alcohol that is the main active ingredient. I wonder if there will be a run on vodka next...

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
Unfortunately the problem with the home made sanitiser is that vodka is only 40% alcohol and you need 60% alcohol to kill the virus :-(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix77