Coronavirus and working carers

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
At 87, Mum is in the high risk category and is currently sat at home with only me, her sole carer visiting.

As I'm under 70 and don't have any existing medical conditions; I am also expected to go to work which is going to put Mum at an additional risk.

When questioned about carers, my local MP came up with the following suggestions-

Visiting
Visit the elderly and hold a conversation through a closed door. Clearly he has no idea how difficult this would be, especially if she's forgotten to insert her hearing aids. Maybe there will be a gap below the door; this would be a useful way to pass her her daily medication but will she then remember to put the tablet in her mouth?

Food
He recommends that we carry on cooking their meals but leave the meals on the doorstep. Does he not realise that DWP will forget to collect it, collect and for get to eat, eat cold or even pop in the microwave and leave it there uneaten?

We're the forgotten ones, the people that care who have been completely overlooked in all the governments plans.

I'm now having to request unpaid leave so I can self isolate as Mum is far more important that my job.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Well, what a ridiculous response from your MP! Mind you, it's better than the ones I got from the two MPs I emailed ( mine and my mothers) who have not even replied!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sadly, it's another case of people who have never experienced caring for someone with dementia not having a clue what it involves. Sorry you have to take unpaid leave and now extra worry, @My Mum's Daughter. I hope you will both be ok despite everything.

Cuchulin

Mar 2, 2019
I would like your MP to spend a day with somebody with dementia.
Pass her medication under the door and leave her meals on the door step. If the situation was different his suggestions would be funny.