Coronavirus and visiting someone with Alzheimers

JodieLee

Mar 24, 2020
Hello.
Background:
My Nan has alzheimer. We have recently just lost my grandad. My Nan currently lives independently in a flat and has careers who come in and make her meals. As a family we visit her multiple times a day.
However she also has COPD.

Am I able to still go and visit my Nan even if I keep my distance? Or does anyone have any advice at all for this situation?
Any help or advice would be amazing. I am just worried.

Jodie

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Family carers are allowed to visit as well as professional ones but advised to keep a 2m distance if possible and be scrupulous about hygiene. If your Nan would wander out looking for you I imagine it’s safer to carry on visiting.

I understand the COPD is high risk so maybe visit less just one person at a time? I’ve seen it advised to leave coats in the car or put into a bin bag to avoid bringing the virus into the home.

JodieLee

Mar 24, 2020
We are not family careers as such we visit her to break her day up if you will.
With the new UK lockdown rules I’m unclear on whether I am still able to see her?

JodieLee

Mar 24, 2020
Hello thank you.
I get that from the reading too but surely with her having Alzheimers even a quick 10minutes just to break her day up?
Just no idea how it will work out.

Cuchulin

Mar 2, 2019
I'm missing something??, where does it say care has to be from family carer or professional carer? I've got a friend who helps mum (care) can she not continue?

I thought that they has said on the news that care for vulnerable people allowed the community projects to continue. Although they are probably not going in the house?

So confusing

JodieLee

Mar 24, 2020
We do not care for my Nan as in giving medication we have careers for that, we visit her and break her day up

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
We do not care for my Nan as in giving medication we have careers for that, we visit her and break her day up

Family caring contact is allowed.
Recommended separation is 2 metres.
Time at under 2m for infection to spread is estimated at 15 minutes.
Don't share towels, ensure that all cups etc are thoroughly washed.
As per the mantra 'keep washing hands'