Coronavirus and living alone with dementia

slfox1

Mar 22, 2020
My mum-in-law has mid stage dementia and lives alone. She's has carers go in once a day to prepare food and give her medication. She now has symptoms of Covid-19 and the advice is to self- isolate. We live too far away to visit, I myself have pneumonia at the moment and have been advised our household needs to self isolate for 14 days.

How do I make sure my mum-in-law gets her medication every day, and a hot meal if she is to be in isolation???

I'm so worried about her ..........

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @slfox1.

You can check for any Society services in your area where you may get advice by following the next link

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

If you want to talk it through with anyone the experts on the help line can be good, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday
9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Live on-line advice is also available in the UK and you can see the details of that if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @slfox1
a warm welcome to DTP
a worry for you ... I hope your own health improves

might you contact your mum in law's care provider and check on the situation ... also her Local Authority Adult Services and her GP, if not by phone then email ... the more folk who know about your mum's situation the better

there's also Admiral Nurses who may have some suggestions

AgeUK may have a local branch who have some ideas

Sahsah

Nov 12, 2018
My mum-in-law has mid stage dementia and lives alone. She's has carers go in once a day to prepare food and give her medication. She now has symptoms of Covid-19 and the advice is to self- isolate. We live too far away to visit, I myself have pneumonia at the moment and have been advised our household needs to self isolate for 14 days.

How do I make sure my mum-in-law gets her medication every day, and a hot meal if she is to be in isolation???

I'm so worried about her ..........

Sahsah

Nov 12, 2018
I sympathise with your situation and can only imagine how you are feeling. Dad is diabetic and lives alone my brother and I provide most of his day-to-day care and scenarios like this play on my mind. I hope that there would be help at hand but I know how difficult recent efforts have been when I have tried to get support from social workers and now things will be even tougher. Wishing you all the very best. Please post if you get chance the support you manage to get and how as it may well help others who are facing the same concerns