Coronation Street

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
My wife will not watch television at all.She says "I don't know what they are talking about" "Is it real?" "What a waste of electricity"
I find it hard now to watch because of the constant comments.
She also complains that it also too loud.
She will however watch videos of Pavorati in Hyde Park and the three tenors in concert.
I hope that the Coronation Street producers get their facts correct.
Norman :(

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
My wife wants the television on and insists seeing only ITV programs. Of course I spend the evening sitting with her - watching - except when I look across I find she is not watching at all -

We are off to the new (old) boat in a week - she is making a real effort to prepare for it but of course every so often says she will not go... Have to wait and see if I manage to get her on the aeroplane to the UK first, then onto the boat.... Then to France then down the canals to the Mediterranean. I wonder.....

I think any publicity - information about AD is good - There is a sort of shying away by a lot of people. Remember how it was a couple of decades ago about cancer - the 'C' word....? Now there is awareness and understanding and a willingness to talk about it - I think that's what Alzheimer's needs - some fresh air -coming out of the closet - Of course the Coronation Street - Archers program editors will do some research but in the end they are 'story telling' and the needs of the show will come first but it must help if it makes people aware of what the illness is really like. If it becomes a national talking point then that must help both carers and sufferers.

Sometimes I feel so lonely not having anyone to discuss the problems with - I almost feel disloyal if I tell people Monique has this problem - rather than see her receive the odd looks when she says strange repetitive things.. If discussion and some understanding can come to AIDS and Cancer then it surly can come to Alzheimer's and then the neighbors and relatives and friends will feel less afraid of being involved - I think............

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
HI MICHAEL,i do think you are very brave ,attempting this holiday,i hope it happens for you and all goes well ,the last holiday i attempted was 3 yrs ago ,to TENERIFE to visit my daughter who lives there ,JIM was very aware of his problems ,and memory was not any problem ,it was more spacial awareness,and he needed help with everything ,the biggest problem was the toilet on the plane ,even though i made sure he had been prior to boarding ,within 1 hour he wanted to go ,there was no way i could have gone in with him ,there is hardly room for 1 ,i kept telling him to hold on we were nearly there (it is a 4 hr flight )I WAS A BAG OF NERVES BY THE TIME WE ARRIVED ,then every time we went out ,just the 2 of us ,as my daughter was working ,i kept losing him in the mens toilet ,he could not find his way out ,i got some very funny looks as i was hovering in the mens doorway,i could write a book on the things that happened on that holiday ,and decided enough was enough ,but i was glad i had kept going as long as i could. GOOD LUCK .ANGELA

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi, there must be a merry band of us carers who loiter around public toilet doors. Remember one occassion, at Heathrow, when I asked a gentleman "would you please go in the Gents and call loudly LIONEL". I did not know if he was still in, or had come out whilst I was in the Ladies and wandered off. Life was a bit better once I got a RADAR key.
My thoughts are with you all, whatever you are experiencing. Bless you, Connie

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Michael,

RADAR is a charity whose mission is: to promote change by empowering disabled people to achieve their rights and expectations; and by influencing the way that disabled people are viewed as members of society.

The RADAR keys allow entry to accessible (disabled) public toilets in the UK that may be locked. You can read about the scheme here:

http://www.radar.org.uk/FAQ/Index.asp?lHeaderID=8

There are also details of schemes that run in other countries.

Take care,

Sandy

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Well done Sandy, I did not know of the scheme exactly, only that I had purchased my key from the local Town Hall. I found mine invaluable, don't get out as much these days. Connie

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I know what you mean about the mens toilets! It's amazing how adpet you can get at making sure you've been to the loo while ensuring that the the other half gets in and out of the gents and can still find you. We seem to have got it down to a fine art - long may it last!!

Izzy

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
It was a relief to me when I got a Radar key,no more funny looks standing outside the gents with a handbag!!!
Beats the queues too.
Norman

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Radar Key

The radar key is like a magic wand: no longer do I fret outside the gents, no more stress wondering whether Mr. Wonderful has found a different exit, or is simply stuck inside a maze of cubicles - we go in and come out together, have time to wash hands, do up zips and buttons, and avoid all the stress.
The strange thing is: I have discovered that many disabled toilets are not even locked (especially in restaurants, theatres etc.), yet before I had a key, it would never have occurred to me to use one with my husband, yet it is such an obvious and brilliant solution .....
Just one little (unexpected) problem: I am not large enough to block out my husbands reflection in the mirrors that often make him feel 'someone' is watching him, and so I have taken to carrying a large scarf and some blutack. Good job that capacious handbags are fashionable!

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Did anyone see Coronation Street this week?
Mike Baldwin's AD has started.
He repeated a question twice,it was very realistic.
By the way I believe Lord Hattersly is a Coronation Street fan!!
Norman