Corona party

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Last night at about 8pm a bunch of stupid young people were having a party on the large grassy moor near to where I live. They seemed to think that it was alright to congregate, drink and stand around some kind of naked flame, taking photographs to prove just how irresponsibly they were behaving. In an area replete with students I am generally tolerant, but when they frightened the dog by letting off fire works I gave in to my inner Victor Meldrew and informed the police about anti-social behaviour. I have no idea whether any action was taken.

This morning I noticed that the area was littered with discarded beer bottles and cans. There was a large burnt area of grass where there had been a fire. I went back later with some sacks to clear up the mess only to find that someone had beaten me to it. If last night showed how stupid and selfish some people can be, this morning restored my faith that at least some people can act in a civilised way during a crisis.

The restrictions due to Covid-19 encroach on all of our lives but they haven't been put in place without good reason. It is about time that those who have been having so-called 'corona parties' - and those who are queuing and creating shortages at supermarkets - realise that their actions heighten the risk of spreading the virus and will lead to more serious illness and deaths. By the time everyone has had personal exposure to the virus - directly or through a loved one - it will be too late to do much about it.

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I suspect there will be a spike in new cases in about two to three weeks with all those people have a last party last night. I met a couple of friends in virtually empty pub on Thursday, but washed my hands as soon as I got home.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Here in Italy things are getting worse and worse . Yesterday 625 people died. Today 794. And it is far from being over. Yet there are still irresponsible people, above all young ones, who gather in parks or other places . The police intervene but unluckily there are more idiots than policemen

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That’s dreadful @northumbrian_k. I returned early yesterday from a holiday in Tenerife. There’s no way that would have happened where we were. A helicopter circled over regularly and also drones. They were ensuring that there were no gatherings of people. On the way to the pharmacy (only allowed to go out to pharmacy or supermarket) my friend was stopped by firefighters and she had to tell them where she was going.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
You are having a bad time @margherita. I have heard that more restrictions are being brought in. I hope that those who still don't see the need to act responsibly, here, in Italy, and everywhere else finally start to see the errors of their ways. Best wishes K.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Here in Italy things are getting worse and worse . Yesterday 625 people died. Today 794. And it is far from being over. Yet there are still irresponsible people, above all young ones, who gather in parks or other places . The police intervene but unluckily there are more idiots than policemen

I’ve thought of you often over the last while Marguerite. It must be very scary.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’ve been wondering how you are too @margherita . We have bunches of idiots here too. At the moment it seems to be mostly bunches of teenage boys I’ve seen moving around in clusters near the river when I’ve gone for a walk.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hmm a house down the road was having a corona party last night I could hear the voices (screaming and shouting) admist the loud music and all young. I think the wrong messages have been sent out -because clearly young people think it won't affact them when it will. The only age group this virus doesn't seem to hit is children.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
The message ought to be that it is not just one's own health but the health of all those with whom one comes into contact. Would young people really be happy passing it on to vulnerable people? Do they want their grandparents to be seriously ill or even die? Social responsibility is not a vague concept but a vital requirement if we are serious about minimising harm to others.

margherita

May 30, 2017
You are having a bad time @margherita. I have heard that more restrictions are being brought in. I hope that those who still don't see the need to act responsibly, here, in Italy, and everywhere else finally start to see the errors of their ways. Best wishes K.
There is no time left to try to persuade people, I'm afraid. Strict measures against irresponsible people must be taken.
Unfortunately our government is not strong enough.
Hope you are well,K.

margherita

May 30, 2017
I’ve been wondering how you are too @margherita . We have bunches of idiots here too. At the moment it seems to be mostly bunches of teenage boys I’ve seen moving around in clusters near the river when I’ve gone for a walk.
Yes, mostly teenagers. Schools have been closed for a month and they think they're on holiday. I always wonder where their families are and if they have ever taught their children a bit of social responsibility.

margherita

May 30, 2017
I’ve thought of you often over the last while Marguerite. It must be very scary.
Hi @Izzy ,
It is really scary. I wouldn't have imagined, when the epidemic first started , things would get to this point.
I have been at home since March 10th, but tomorrow I will go food shopping in the nearest supermarket.
Hope you're well, Izzy, and thanks for thinking of me

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We have a young couple renting the house next door and they frequently have gatherings over a weekend. This afternoon, there were extra cars outside and I could hear voices in the courtyard at the back.

I have never spoken to them before but I ended getting very angry at their actions so I got my little step ladder and popped up over the fence. I remained very calm but I told them they were doing the wrong thing and of course they tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Any way I warned them that if they continued to have guests at their house, I would call the police. My husband didn't want me to do it and I guess at some time in the future I can expect an earful but it really annoyed me.

Within twenty minutes, the cars had gone so I think they found out that I was right.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You can now report such things online as most forces have set up internet forms, alternatively call 101. I have seen people call others doing this snitches, but it's no different to reporting noise violations, and here your report could even save lives, so well done.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
To be honest I don’t care if they infect each other.
I care about the doctors and nurses, supermarket workers etc that they infect before and after they are clamouring for help and complaining that the government’s not done enough to ensure their survival

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I drove past a block of flats yesterday which has a communal garden at the front. There appeared to be four or five mothers sitting in the sun together and at least a dozen small children running around playing together. I felt like stopping the car and telling them but of course I didn't because I know that I would have only got a load of abuse back. I wish i had now.

You were absolutely right @Lawson58 and well done I hope I am a bit braver next time.