Coping with mucus/gurgling?

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Not sure if I should post here or in End of Life forum? Mum is bed ridden - occasionally we use hoist to get her into chair or on to commode but only really to try and change her position and to change bedding etc. Days before Christmas she declined to the point that Docs suggested "making her comfortable" was all we could do however once again she has pulled around albeit at a lower level than previously (didn't think that was possible!).

Our immediate problem is that she is constantly "stuffed up" with mucus - it obviously is being generated and settles into her throat so she is always breathing through it - she bubbles - coughs sometimes but never strongly enough to expel anything, maybe swallows some?

I asked at chemist for a solution but they said id need to refer to Doctor - when I asked Doc pre Christmas he said there wasn't anything? Have thought about those candle things that I used to use for my son as a baby 30 odd years ago, and am currently using Vic on her chest, but does anyone have any more up to date ideas?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello, you could try asking the GP for a referral to either a Physio or to an OT for positioning advice, perhaps sitting her more upright with a v shaped pillow for support might help. The mucus settles because she is now too weak to expel it. If it becomes infected, it could turn to pneumonia.

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Hello, you could try asking the GP for a referral to either a Physio or to an OT for positioning advice, perhaps sitting her more upright with a v shaped pillow for support might help. The mucus settles because she is now too weak to expel it. If it becomes infected, it could turn to pneumonia.

Thanks Cragmaid, she has a hospital bed so throughout the day we change her position, more often than not to upright. This seems to stick in her throat as each time we have had "emergencies" the doctor has been amazed that her chest sounds so clear. Before Christmas the issue was that it made her gag and at one point we couldn't get food or liquids down her without her being sick. Now it just causes distress as she starts to choke. If it were thinner mucus it may be more easily swallowed (or coughed)? Of course the swallowing is not so good these days either but hey ho we can only keep trying to alleviate the odd thing in the hope that she suffers less :-(

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Perhaps you could try ringing Macmillan Nurses or a local Hospice on Monday...they will be used to dealing with this problem and may be able to give advice.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There is a class of drugs known as mucolytics (cue Google!) which thin the mucus, they are not all without side effects and may not be appropriate for other than short term use.

You could try repeated small amounts of warm water containing honey and lemon.

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
Hi Kriss. My Mum is at a similar stage to yours. She deteriorated just before Christmas and the GP told us he thought she was at end of life. She is still with us and has improved a bit. She struggles with excess mucus and the GP has prescribed Hyoscine patches to help reduce the amount of mucus/saliva. It has helped, although he thinks she really needs to have a higher dose now via a syringe driver. I would ask your GP or district nurse if hyoscine would be suitable for your Mum. I hope you get some help with this

care 4 momma

Jan 28, 2017
My mom uses Transderm Scopalamine patches applied behind her ear every 72 hours. They help with secretions very much. :)

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Just seen this post. Dad is the same. He is in hospital and all doctors say is well he hasn't an infection. I said so what's causing the mucus. They say there's no infection. I say so why the mucus. They say there is no infection.
That's all they repeat but no other advice no nothing.
They put a patch behind his ear (travel sickness) but take it this is for the mucus
He was due to be discharged yesterday but they kept him in as a bit chesty
But when I asked again about the mucus they say it's better isn't it and he has no infection
Any wise words I can throw at them to ask why the constant mucus and how to manage it ?
Thanks anyone