Coping with guilt

Jenpen

Jan 26, 2016
The torment of Guilt

I am new to this forum having lost my dear husband last month. Your story is so similar to my own and I sympathise with you enormously.
My husband was diagnosed in 2010 at the age of 62. A cheerful fun and intelligent person, we muddled through for the first few years. The last two years he became progressively worse to the point where I was finding it too hard coping alone with him at home. We live on the top floor in a block of flats and he was wandering up and down in the lift at night and getting lost outside. The Police brought him back a couple of times or neighbours had come to the rescue. We had no family living locally so it was mainly left to me. He did go away for one week respite last year and thereafter attended the same place once a week for the day. At the start of this year it was agreed with Social Service that he go into the same care home for a three week respite/assessment with the possibility of staying in full-time care thereafter. I had reached a crisis point by that time and so it was a huge relief to finally get some peace and calm at home. Sadly this time he would not settle in care and was Sectioned and taken to a special Unit about 15 miles away. Whilst there he had a fall and was taken to hospital to be checked over and then returned to the Unit. However after a few days he became unwell and was returned to the hospital. Thereafter he never regained his mobility and pnuemonia set in. After 3 weeks he was eventually found a place in a Nursing Home about 8 miles away but although he rallied a little, by now he was deteriorating rapidly. He became very agitated when the staff tried to wash and change him and he rarely ate any food offered. I visited every day apart from whenever his daughters could get there to visit. We took him small deserts and fresh strawberries to eat and he did manage some but only with lots of encouragement. He was now totally bedridden and some days were extremely distressing to witness. His weight plummeted. We made sure he had classical music playing in the background and when he heard certain pieces he seemed to recognise and became very emotional. Sometimes he would cry which would be hugely upsetting for me. After 3 months in that state he suddenly became unresponsive and the doctor was going to prescribe antibiotics as he thought it might be the start of a chest infection. It was at this stage when we said no we don't want that, it wouldn't be fair to bring about a recovery simply to have him living in the state he was. So it was agreed to make him as comfortable as possible and let nature take its course. There followed 4 days of us sitting by his bedside waiting for the inevitable. He had a line inserted so that a continuous supply of morphine and other drugs were being administered. Even so it was a traumatic experience and when the end finally came on the Friday night it was so, so sad. I shall never ever get over those final days and moments.
We've now, of course, had the funeral and a service he would have loved and his ashes are in the churchyard in a village he also loved. I'm still finding it hard to believe he's no longer with us, the void that's left after caring for someone for so long is profound. My biggest torment is whether letting him go into the care system brought about his final deterioration or whether that was inevitable in any case. How will I ever know?
While he was still in the hospital the doctor showed me a scan of his brain which indicated a huge amount of black areas but I did not ask how long it had been that bad and am wondering now whether it was as a result of him being in care?
There's no doubt about it this disease is nothing less than brutal. It not only destroys the victim but it does a pretty good job of trying to destroy the carer as well! I hope all of us who have these dreadful after thoughts of guilt eventually find solace.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Great advice

There is only one way to look at this. Stand outside of yourself and give advice to the person who was you. You know you did the correct thing and if you consider the alternatives they are not good and not kind. This is not an illness with some miracle cure - it is constantly getting worse whether fast or slow.

To waste the rest of your life feeling guilty would indeed be a tragedy. Mourn, miss and move on.

Thank you for these wise words and this unemotional reality of our situations. I hope our friend can find the truth of your words here.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
Jenpen, it is very, very early days and natural you should feel this however unjustifed it is to an outsider. It's impossible to think straight so soon after the death of a much loved spouse. But read marionq's words. She is so right. It sounds as if you were near collapse yourself when your husband went into care home. What good would it have done either of you if you had collapsed? Maybe you could talk to someone at the bereavement charity, Cruse, so you can talk all this out. Their national line number is
0808 808 1677. I am sorry for your loss. Best wishes.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Jenpen, we all have doubts about what happened to our loved one in care. But the fact is that we handed over care of our loved one because it was the better alternative. So sorry for your loss, do be kind to yourself and take things as easy as you can. It is hard being without them but in time the good memories come to mind and life gets back into perspective again. Take care.