coping with dementia, loss and depression

karen k

Jul 15, 2021
Hi all
I have recently become a carer for my Mum who has alzheimers. Mum lived with my Dad and my youngest sister until march when they both died within 3 weeks of each other. My Dad went into hospital on new years day with a gall bladder infection ..he caught covid while in hospital and never came home...he battled for 2 months before he passed away. My sister suffered with mental and physical health problems. The death of our Dad was too much for her...he was her best friend.... she died 3 weeks after him.
I have moved in with my Mum to care for her.
She is depressed, grieving and has dementia. I am struggling with my own grief as well as day to day life living with my Mum.
I have help from my sister but she works and has teenage kids to care for...we also have other support for my Mum...which has just started.
This is the first time I have reached out for myself.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum @karen k. My condolences to you on the loss of your dad and your and your sister. You will find support and empathy here from others who understand. The Dementia Connect helpline can put you in touch with other support services too.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementiaconnect is the place to find the number and the times it is open. Please keep reading and posting.