Coping with Coronavirus

Henkerann

Aug 28, 2019
suffolk
How stupid do I feel, just rang for some advice and broke down in floods of tears, didn't realise how stressed I was over my Mum and coronavirus. My Mum is in a very sheltered housing with carers . Found out on Tuesday nobody will be able to visit after 12pm Friday. She has dementia and whilst we have had conversations about me not being able to see her, within minutes its forgotten. She will without doubt be distressed when I don't arrive at 4pm as usual. I've been going everyday for the past 5 years, have moaned about there not being an end to it and now there is I feel so guilty. Have to be realistic and just hope we all get through it. on a brighter note for anyone else in the same position I wanted to share the idea that I have written letters that the carers can read to her. Stay Safe everyone.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Henkerann . I’m not surprised your so upset.

I’ve seen that some carehomes are setting up Skype so that loved ones with dementia can still see each other face to face. Would something like that or FaceTime work for you and your mum?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My partners' daughter has been communicating by WhatsApp, but I do like the idea of sending letters for the carers to read. Don't give inot guilt @Henkerann, you can do what you can and these are exceptional circumstances.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
How stupid do I feel, just rang for some advice and broke down in floods of tears, didn't realise how stressed I was over my Mum and coronavirus. My Mum is in a very sheltered housing with carers . Found out on Tuesday nobody will be able to visit after 12pm Friday. She has dementia and whilst we have had conversations about me not being able to see her, within minutes its forgotten. She will without doubt be distressed when I don't arrive at 4pm as usual. I've been going everyday for the past 5 years, have moaned about there not being an end to it and now there is I feel so guilty. Have to be realistic and just hope we all get through it. on a brighter note for anyone else in the same position I wanted to share the idea that I have written letters that the carers can read to her. Stay Safe everyone.
I really do feel for you and your mum at this time - my mum is unable to visit my dad at his care home where she usually visits everyday and it is soul destroying knowing he has no contact from those who love him most xx

nipper

Dec 27, 2012
hertfordshire
Like Henkerann, my wife has been in a nursing home suffering from Alzheimers for over 5 years now. Apart from my holidays (and when it has been closed for V&D I have visited her every day during this time. For some time she has been immobile and not speaking but I have managed to give her meals and drinks. Since this outbreak the home has been totally closed to all visitors which I am finding very difficult to deal with. I do understand the need to keep this virus out of the home as many residents I feel sure would not survive. However the not knowing when this visiting embargo will end, several months I suspect, really concerns me that anything could happen during this time. I do find it quite stressful as the idea of skype and other alternative ideas will not work as she has no cognition whatsoever. I suppose I just have to be positive and wait for the time it all passes and we get some normality again. Not easy though. Lots of others in the same boat I do realise.

Henkerann

Aug 28, 2019
suffolk
Here we are, how many weeks down the line and still trying to cope with this dreadful situation. I am so lucky that the carers where my mum is are so marvellous, trying to keep some normality for its residents. My Mums home is very assisted living (which has progressed to a care home as residents have aged) because it is assisted living the residents can come and go as they please despite the carers trying to persuade them not to go out (they can't stop them, if they choose to). This has resulted in the remainder only being able to go to the communal lounge one at a time or being taken one at a time to the garden. They have locked the entrance doors so that the few have to ask if they want to go out. They are trying their best to reduce risk to others.
Like you nipper my mum doesn't do social media, so I have written here letter and cards which the carers put in her handbag and get out to read to her when she becomes anxious and lonely (not sure she really understands that emotion now...) I do get photos from the carers of Mum which I think upset me more than my Mum not seeing me, but as each day passes we are surviving and can only look forward to better times.
Stay strong and safe. x