Coping with attitudes

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's some time ago as many poster as aware. Mine is an early diagnosis so I therefore do not appear to be a 'typical' PWD in the eyes of many and I am well able to cope with comments usually.

Swimming is my lifeline and the only sport I can still participate in. However, due top my declining spatial awareness (and in consideration of other swimmers) I am safest and best left to swim alongside the edge of the pool. Today I was prevented from doing this despite what I thought was a rational explanation to two swimmers determined not to allow this. Unusually for me I am extremely upset about this and unsure how to cope. I don't want sympathy, I just need tgo know how anyone else may cope with such situations.

Sorry just needed to offload

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
No need to say sorry about offloading @Dunroamin

It's a pity that you had this reaction from others but some people can be just like that.

I see two options, either put it behind you and hope that you don't encounter these vexations to your spirit again, of speak to the pool lifeguard or manager to see if they can assist you in future. I have found that people are usually helpful when I explain my wife's dementia and say that we need assistance.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Our local pool has half the pool set up with lanes and two of these are designated as slow and walking. The other lanes are for those who are fitter and faster and I think this makes things safer for the slowpokes and for those who use the walking lane for therapy etc.

Would it be possible for you to approach the management to see if something similar can be done? I am absolutely sure that there are others with various ailments and conditions who might benefit from such an arrangement?

It would be so easy to have a slow lane down the edge of the pool.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Thank you both. This has made me reconsider my total approach to fitness and I have found two leisure centres that hold dementia friendly sessions once a week with no charge for a carer. We are going to take a drive later on a fact finding mission and I will let you know what happens next.

@karaokePete the manager of my present gym has kindly offered to come into the pool area with me and ensure I am able to swim safely. However, as my GP now informs me I have gone back into pre-diabetes territory, I am taking this as an opportunity to reassess everything.

It is so hard with things being stripped away slowly. I can no longer pursue my equestrian activities, run with great difficulty and lose concentration with gym based exercise. Swimming is so good as I just lose myself in a different zone. Its like a parallel universe and I don't want to have to stop.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Well that appears to be sorted out. We Visited the dementia friendly pool which is wonderful. Welcomed with open arms, support and lots of information given, tour of the facilities etc. . First swim there tomorrow afternoon.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That’s so good @Dunroamin , glad you’ve found somewhere to swim in safety. I too enjoy swimming, it’s such a good total body exercise. Boo to people who do t understand your disability though.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
That's excellent news @Dunroamin - I am so glad that you have found a wonderful pool with such a welcoming and supportive approach. Enjoy your swim later!

The council owned pools and gyms in my area all offer dementia friendly facilities and sessions and I can only hope that this will become the norm throughout the whole of the leisure industry.