Coping with a parent with early onset Alzheimers

mathschick

Oct 14, 2007
London N10
My mum is 59 and she was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease about 4 years ago. I am finding it increasingly difficult to cope now that she is deteriorating significantly week by week. I am finding it really helpful writing about my feelings in the form of a blog at www.mathschick.wordpress.com and I am sure many of you would be able to relate to.

I was wondering how easy or difficult any of you have found it to get care on the NHS for someone with early onset, under the age of 60. This seems to be a sticking point for us right now and it seems very discriminatory. All the details are on my blog. It would be really nice to hear from anyone with a similar experience and how you managed to get help in the end because at the moment we feel so isolated.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I'm glad that you get some sort of relief from writing your blog.

It might be a good idea for you to write relevant and specific information, questions etc within Talking Point in a brief form if you feel that your being here can help you, as well as perhaps others too? :)

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Mathschick,

I assume you are asking about local authority funding for your mum's care, not NHS funding - unless she is at a stage where she needs nursing care. I wasn't aware that age had anything to do with it, but of course she won't have a pension yet, or be eligible for Attendance Allowance, but there are other disability benefits she might be able to get. Look on the Alzheimers website, there must be some info there. I think its the Department for Work and Pensions which would provide benefits while she is working age - www.dwp.gov.uk - and apply now for any you think she might get, as there is often a six-month waiting period. Make sure you identify exactly when she started needing assistance. You might also be able to claim Carers Allowance.

Let us know how you get on.

Margaret

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katejacko