Coping (just about)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Rachael81
sorry to read that your mum is just not right - I know it's not ideal , though maybe another hospital stay may result in everyone realising how much more support your poor mum, and you, now need
so worrying for you
just a thought, my dad leans when he's constipated, and his confusion increases, though he too has had TIAs - might be worth mentioning to the medics
best wishes

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
just a thought, my dad leans when he's constipated, and his confusion increases, though he too has had TIAs - might be worth mentioning to the medics
best wishes

She's on daily senna and I'm unsure of her bowel movements.

By her blood being like treacle she's obviously dehydrated and the blood thinners (apixaban) isn't working? It's all in her legs though, the water retention has made them too heavy for her to lift and move.

Took 3 members of staff and around 8 attempts to get anywhere near enough blood to do tests! Now we play the waiting game but looks like at least an overnight stay.

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
Hen party success

Today was my Hen party and being surrounded by family and friends was lovely, my aunt and mum's cousin spent some quality time with mum so I could sit and chat to others - gave me confidence that they'll be there to help on the day.

Not looking forward to getting ready on the morning of the big day though, getting enough time to do what I needed to was problematic and trying to persuade mum to get dressed and wear a pad took too long!

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
Crepey skin after water retention is going

Between tablets, leg elevation and massage we seem to have the fluids moving in the right direction rather than building up in mums legs, as it's been building for around a month her skin has stretched and now is very crepey as skin elasticity decreases with age is there anything to do to help restore the skin? Mum loves wearing skirts and I want her to feel comfortable and confident doing so.

Also I've notice leg trembles/tremors during the last few days, anyone else experienced this? Thought at first it was a shiver as she's perpetually cold but she's just had one that was obviously more than that - she said it was unconscious movement but that she consciously stopped it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum had fluid retention causing swelling of her feet, ankles and lower leg. I used to massage moisurising cream into the skin in these areas and it seemed to help, though it wont regain all the skin elasticity.

My OH has fasciculations in his arm following a stroke because the area of the brain which controls these movements has been damaged. I wonder whether this is what your mum has.

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
Time obsessed yet can't read the time

Mums latest thing is needing to know the time, but yet can't read it either analogue or digital. Not only is the constant "what time is it?" "are we going to be late?" draining it means that she's getting up in the middle of the night thinking it's morning etc.

I initiated the care home conversation this morning saying that there'd be someone there all the time so she'd only get up at morning - I found her stuck on the sofa in only her Tena pants and attempting to put her bra on. She'd forgotten she has a care phone to press when she needs help.

Also, would I be considered bossy by leaving instructions and "I like..." notes concerning mum for carers? Despite having plastic lidded cups out, the carers seem to hunt out glasses and China mugs for mum which aren't safe for her anymore. They've given her tea - earl grey made like builders - which she doesn't like. I think a list of do's and don't's would benefit them and mum, is this a done thing though?

Last edited: