Coping....Drinking And Smoking....

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Just for once, don't recycle

Throw all the trash out.
Hubby Ron has his garden shed. It is full of Cr-p. Never going to use it, any of it ever again.
Put the trash out.
Cause, when you are gone, it will go anyway.
Barb:)

silvergoblin

Mar 31, 2008
Naples, Florida....USA
I forgot to tell you a little about me and my situation....this is from another post....

Hi Cymbaline....I just had to respond to your post b/c it totally hit home....I am 34, single and live in a "retirement town"....After graduating with my second degree I didn't know what the hell to do to find a job so I moved from Missouri to Florida....got a job and I am about 50 miles from the parents house....I have been here for 6 years....I am an only child and when Dad was showing signs and diagnosed with Alzheimer's I didn't know what to do....I kept thinking about what to do for 2 years....I have no life here (retirement town....not too many people under the age of 50) and I want to go to Graduate School (England is my first choice....I want to study British History)....well here it is going on 6 years in Florida....I made the choice to put my life on hold....as I stated earlier I am an only child....I don't come from a big extended family and most of my relatives passed away when I was a child....my parents have been very good to me over the years and I just can't in good conscience leave my Mom alone to deal with this....so I have been going home every weekend to help Mom and to see Dad. Well....on November 10th 2007 I went to NYC for a Duran Duran show (I have been a loyal fan for 26 years)....I called Mom to let her know I got to the hotel and she told me that my Dad had been admitted to the hospital....that was November 10th 2007....he hasn't been home since. Last July he had a stroke and was hospitalized....it turns out that he got some sort of infection during that time period which caused his going to the ER on Nov. 10th. He has been in two nursing homes/rehab centers and two hospitals since that day....it has been HELL....in addition to being devastated we have had a rather quick and shocking introduction to health-"care" and how Alzheimer's patients are treated. Now my Dad is dying....I am 34 years old and I have never been to a funeral....most of my relatives passed away when I was a child so all I have experienced is the loss of pets. I have so much bottled up inside me trying to deal with/understand/accept the fact that Dad has Alzheimer's....to see him deteriorate so fast during the last two years....hell....even the last six months has just about killed me....my heart is just broken....I am very close to my Father....I was born on Father's Day..................

....Sorry that I rambled on....

....Take Care and HUGS to all

P.S....I realize that this site is based in the UK....however as I live in the U.S.A. I hope it is ok that I joined and posted....

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Margret

If my Mother, bless her, put's one more sticky on my freezer door - GIVE UP SMOKING - Well I will gag her and tie her up.
I smoke, I drink.
I also spell very badly _ SAID SPELL - NOT SMELL;)
But as today is, oh, that was yesterday. Read another thread.
Goodnight from him, and goodnight from me X:)

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
since we are all being honest

What am i doing up at this time in the morning, perhaps it is because I tried to cut out the wine last night, I know it is not the answer, but it does ease the pain that this devastating AD poors on us in bottles full. oh and yes the recycling bin is a real shocker. I am just so sad for my lovely husband, who now has no speech , but still manages to tell me he loves me, is doubly incontinent, agressive and still so young and very attractive, i just miss him even though he is with me 24/7, crying now, so better get a grip , will attempt another night without touching the posh corkscrew.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
silvergoblin said:
....I realize that this site is based in the UK....however as I live in the U.S.A. I hope it is ok that I joined and posted....

dementia knows no national boundaries! Yes of course, you are welcome here. :)

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Nell
I am so sorry you are feeling so down, the sadness is so hard to come to terms with. Welcome to TP, hope you are going to make more posts soon.
take care
hendy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
, will attempt another night without touching the posh corkscrew.

Hello Nell,

Try coming on Talking Point [TP] instead, with a coffee. There`ll always be someone here.

The decline of the younger sufferers seems so rapid, it must be devastating. How people cope is beyond me. My husband is older and his decline is slow, so he still has his language and has no continence problems.

There are many partners and children of younger sufferers, sadly, and I`m sure you`ll feel supported Nell. It won`t make it go away, but you will be among people who understand.

Take care xx

silvergoblin

Mar 31, 2008
Naples, Florida....USA
What am i doing up at this time in the morning, perhaps it is because I tried to cut out the wine last night, I know it is not the answer, but it does ease the pain that this devastating AD poors on us in bottles full. oh and yes the recycling bin is a real shocker. I am just so sad for my lovely husband, who now has no speech , but still manages to tell me he loves me, is doubly incontinent, agressive and still so young and very attractive, i just miss him even though he is with me 24/7, crying now, so better get a grip , will attempt another night without touching the posh corkscrew.

Hi Nell,

I just wanted to send BIG HUGS your way from SW Florida....

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Hi Silvergoblin

Well... the drink seemed to help, but I gained so much weight in a short period I stopped. Now I just cry and cry and cry.

I just lost my Mum in January, and my Dad has Vascular Dementia. I'm totally lost without my Mum, and I'm desperately sad.

I can't seem to even imagine happier times right now.

I don't smoke, never have and as it was one of the things that ultimately claimed my Mum's life, I don't intend to start.

I seem to spend all my life looking after other people.. Mum.. Dad.. kids... etc. and now my Mum is gone, who is looking after me? Nobody!!

Perhaps I'll go back to the drink :(

Big hug to you. I know what sadness is like.

Beverley x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Well, when you are completely on your own, drink gets m vote anyday:

[QUOTEPerhaps I'll go back to the drink

Big hug to you. I know what sadness is like.
][/QUOTE]

Presume this is said with someone in the background.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Beverley
Please do not go back to the drink.
Would your Mum want to see you like this ? With much love
BarbXX

usalori

Mar 31, 2008
Ohio USA
Chocolate has gotten me - I have gained SO much weight since my Mom had her first stroke nearly a year ago. I had just finished losing quite a bit (45 lbs, not sure how that translates to kg), and here it is all back on again in just a few short months. It's sad how comforting chocolate can be, pure, unadulterated, milk chocolate - by the bagful!

Although I suppose the chocolate may be better for me than taking up smoking again....I quit 11 years ago. The wine, though - it HAS to have fewer calories in it than chocolate?

Aarrggghhh I can't even believe I am having these thoughts - which vice provides the most comfort for the least amount of damage to my health.

Hugs,
Lori

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon56