COP Deputy Order Recived Today

Mark H

Aug 29, 2014
I today received the COP order appointing me as my mother's deputy. My mother has a number of different accounts with Halifax including a current account that she jointly holds with me.

I assume my first step is to register the deputyship with Halifax? I can't find any information about registering a deputy order with the Halifax (there is information for a LPA). Does anyone have any experience of this? Any advice is gratefully received.

Will I have to open a new deputy account with the Halifax? Or will the Halifax simply give me access to the existing accounts? Also will be able to have Internet access to the accounts?

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
Hi
I have guardianship which I believe to be the scottish courts equivalent.

I took the original of the order, plus evidence of mums accounts and utilities (for proof of address as that was on the guardianship order) and evidence of who I was & where I lived into her bank branch to get them put the account in my name as a guardian account - her bank were really helpful, and it all took a half hour or so and we were also able to later go and transfer her Halifax savings into her new guardian current AC (funds were needed for CH fees at that point).
Bank cards were reissued with "my name" guardian a/c on them. Bank statements for mum come to my house and I can do Internet banking for her.

Not sure how joint account status affects though sorry.

Ebiing4

Jun 9, 2013
Hi,

I had a similar situation last year with my dad who banks with rbs. I went into the bank and they gave me a form to complete. I handed the form in along with an original COP order and ID for myself and they changed the account to a deputy account and gave me my own bank card and online login details. They were really good about it and knew exactly what I needed to do.

Regards, Ed

ASH74

May 18, 2014
Only know for the Natwest who have a COP team (in Southampton) I took my (our) Order and had a meeting with our local branch manager who did all the hard work. I would go in a speak to your local branch as even if they can't help I suspect they too have a special unit that will know all the ins and outs of setting this up.

My cheque book and card says Ms ASH as Deputy for Mr XXX.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Mark H

Aug 29, 2014
Many thanks for the replies. A concern I have is some of my mother's savings are in fixed rate ISA's and I'm keen to avoid them being closed and the funds consolidated into a deputy's account that probably pays no interest.

I'll make an appointment tomorrow to visit the Halifax and I hope it's with someone who understands the process for registering a deputyship.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Many thanks for the replies. A concern I have is some of my mother's savings are in fixed rate ISA's and I'm keen to avoid them being closed and the funds consolidated into a deputy's account that probably pays no interest.

I'll make an appointment tomorrow to visit the Halifax and I hope it's with someone who understands the process for registering a deputyship.

Unless the rules are very different for deputyships to those for POAs, you won't have to close the ISAs. It could hardly be in your mum's financial interests to deprive her of the better interest rates or tax-free status.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
As a deputy I run ISA's for the patient (of the COP) so no you shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
I today received the COP order appointing me as my mother's deputy. My mother has a number of different accounts with Halifax including a current account that she jointly holds with me.

I assume my first step is to register the deputyship with Halifax? I can't find any information about registering a deputy order with the Halifax (there is information for a LPA). Does anyone have any experience of this? Any advice is gratefully received.

Will I have to open a new deputy account with the Halifax? Or will the Halifax simply give me access to the existing accounts? Also will be able to have Internet access to the accounts?

HI, I am a COP Deputy for two relatives. Sorting matters with banks and building soc was straight forward. Take the original order to the provider with your ID, they will register matters and if you ask, they will provide internet. Remember to keep finances separate in a different account and keep accurate accounts for income and expenditure. You will be contacted by the OPG for supervision and there is a fee of approx. £320 yearly from the patient, the cost will depend on the level of supervision you need. Good luck Steve

Mark H

Aug 29, 2014
Update

Just a quick update. I registered the deputy order with the Halifax yesterday. It took about 45 minutes and was very straightforward.

After completing the online form the Halifax Advisor sent them off to the central team that deal with deputy orders and they confirmed they has everything they needed which meant I could be set up with internet access to my mother's accounts.

it was certainly easier than I expected, but I think I was fortunate that the advisor was very efficient and had even checked what she needed to do ahead of the appointment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart