Convene catheter not draining

Amber92

Sep 25, 2021
Hi, I have just got a convene catheter as my husband was waking up nearly every hour to go to the toilet and I would bring a urine bottle round to him. The catheter fits well but I am having mixed success at the moment. When he wees it seems to balloon up in the space near the penis and if not released will back up and start leaking out, ruining the adhesive seal. Sometimes when I wiggle the bag it will suddenly rush through (it is on a night stand). This morning it was nearly going to start leaking again but I pulled the sides of the bag apart a it and it all started draining properly again! Obviously I don't want to be doing that all the time as it's even more disruptive than before. Does anyone have any tips? There's no kinks in the tube so I can't understand it ?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has a permanent catheter rather than a conveen one, but it does sometimes get blocked and has to be changed. I dont know much about conveen catheters - how often do you change them? Is it just the sheath bit at the top that gets changed?

I have a phone number to contact someone if there are problems. Im sure you must have been given the same - do contact someone (bladder and bowel clinic?) as there may be an easy solution.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Amber92
sorry, no personal experience but found this through online search

Problem: Urine backflow. Solution: Keep the drainage bag below the level of the bladder so urine will flow downward through gravity.

Problem: The catheter is being pulled or tugged. Solution: Keep the tubing secured to the upper thigh at all times to reduce tension on the catheter. Catheter straps are often used to secure extension tubing in place.

Problem: Urine is not draining into the leg bag or urine collection device. Solution: Regularly empty the leg bag or collection device, always leaving a small amount of urine in the bag to avoid creating a vacuum. When a vacuum is created, it prevents urine from draining into the bag or collection unit.

It’s important to contact your healthcare professional directly if you are experiencing issues with your male external catheter such as swelling, rash, pain or extreme discomfort.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Amber92 - I had a lot of problems when trying to use a convene with my husband. To be honest it was never a success. Everything we tried was with the support of the continence clinic. If you are registered with such a clinic it should help to contact them about it.

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Donto no mutch abought the bag you have
My husband as a permanent cafete fitted and as a night bag at night
Are you shoure the value is open fully so we can go in it

Does he drink a lot so the caveter don't get blocked.
As my husband gets blocked
Alot even those he drinks if he a sleep a lot don't drink as mutch so it blocks and needs changing

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Are you leaving room in the end of the sheath bit? Somewherefor the urine to go before it goes off down the pipe?

Opening the far end valve momentariliy , as if to empty, might help

Amber92

Sep 25, 2021
Thanks. I'm leaving an inch at the end of the penis I think like some of you suggest it could be a vacuum created. The help line left a message for me saying it could help to raise the level of the bag a bit so I'll try that tonight , and I didn't empty it completely this morning so that might help with the vacuum problem. Thanks, it's good to have other people to talk to x