contuining healthcare madness.

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
hi folks, its been a long time since i posted. Im still employed as a social worker just! anyway this business about contuining healthcare. The new system has been in place since October 2007 and i strongly feel it is a government cop out. They do not want to properly fund long term care it is a joke. Why should professionals like myself and staff employed in the nhs/pct's have to jump through hoops to justify whether your loved ones need care. It makes me want to give up and go live on a desert island. Shauny

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Shauny,
I am going through that at the moment with continuing healthcare.
Madness that is the understatement.
Peter was diagnoised age 58. At 61 he was placed in E.M.I. Unit. Beautiful, caring, compassionate staff.
The Local Authorities interpret documentation to suit themselves. Yet again, it is another road we have to take on and challenge. As Peter is in the last stage, the Care Home sent of the necessary documents a month ago. No reply yet. They should have had my letters since then ????
I wish you the very best. This is my personal view: get rid of the idiots and replace them with Carers' who understand the whole cinara of the A.D.
Take care. Christine

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
It took the PCT 10 months from the time of our application for NHS continuing healthcare for the PCT to assemble the information they need to make a decision. The Care Home tells me they sent the information requested at least four times. I have spoken to at least five people in the office during the process of assembling the facts, and that does not include the “Summary Nurse” who I understand has the job of bringing everything together.

I may be wrong, but the impression one gets is that the system has been designed to provide employment for a lot of people whose job is to make sure no money is paid out of the PCT coffers.

Clive

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
chc madness

Hi thanks for your replies. I worry about how are so called betters ie politicians make decisions that do not turn out in practice to be that useful.What worries me about this new approach for CHC funding is that it becomes a post code lottery. I have a feeling that this will be the case. The premise is a good idea but i think the outcome for clients and there families will be problematic.It would be interesting for a MP or a senior civil servant in the DOH to actually spend time with families who are trying to navigate there way through all this petty paperwork. Shauny

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Since when has it not been a post-code lottery? Every PCT has it's own way of implementing the guidlines, just like every local authority makes its own judgments about financial aid. The one thing to be said for the LA aspect is that at least one can look at CRAG and see what they're supposed to be doing.

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Shauny

I can understand that it will be difficult for you as a practising social worker, but have you ever spoken to your MP about the problems at the sharp end. It needs people with real practical experience to make the MP’s understand what the problems are.

Clive

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Shauny

My experience is that social workers are trying to help those of us in need but are constrained by finence and bureaucracy.

Clive - a number of years ago when I was a teacher and approached my MP with my opinion of current difficulties in education I was told I did not undestand the problems teachers faced! MPs rarely allow the opinion of others to overcome their prejudices.

Dick

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Dick

I do agree with you. But if you do not try to point out to these MPs that the system is wrong it will just continue. At the end of the day they want your vote so if many people go and tell them the same thing a change will be made.

Clive

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
chc madness

Hi Clive & Dick, thank you for your comments. My managers are well aware of mine and my colleagues concerns.These are fed back to director level who discuss with elected members who feed back to the local MP.At least i hope this happens but i will check it out. Shauny

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513