Contributions Towards Wedding

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hi,

My OH was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 18 months ago. We have a LPA, I am his Attorney and he still has mental capacity. He just needs support at times.

His daughter from his first marriage has just got engaged and naturally he will want to make a contribution towards the cost of her wedding.

Now that he has this diagnosis, will there be a limit on how much he could give to her? I am concerned about any issues of Deprivation of Assets rearing their head in the future. I'd hate for him to contribute a large amount, only for SS to try to claw it back in the future and cause aggravation and upset for all. I'd like us to get it right for everyone.

I know there are knowledgeable folks who use the forum :) could anyone offer me any advice please?

JJx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
What sum are we talking about? Small sums in accordance with earlier gifts should be ok, but large sums could be frowned upon. Why not call the OPG for guidance?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Although the OPG may say that a certain amount is allowable there is no guarantee that the LA will agree this figure.

If the LA decided deliberate deprivation had occurred more than 6 months before their financial review they would not 'claw back' the amount but would add it as notional capital to the actual capital.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
That amount would be all right as far as CGT is concerned, the OPG would also take into consideration the value of his funds.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
£400,000? ish.

Makes a contribution of £5000 seem quite small for paying towards a daughter's wedding.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I'd just carry on.
There's a lot of of care years in £400k unless it's all tied up in disregardable property.
The worst the LA could do is put £5k onto assets as virtual.

Last edited:

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Thanks Nitram. It isn't all tied up in disregardable property so we'll just go ahead.

Thank you!

JJx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyKB