Continuous care

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
Hello. Could I ask cpn or social worker to start a continuous care assessment for my mum or do I have to ask the care home manager to start it? Mum is self funding in nursing home. Thank you

Last edited:

Wigan

May 5, 2013
I think you could ask any of those mentioned. If your mum already has a social worker I would probably ask them as they will be involved in the process.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
I've just gone through the process.

I'll help you if I can.

Be prepared for a fight but it's doable but you have to be armed to the teeth with knowledge.

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
Thank you. My problem is the first step. I know the care home manager will be involved but I find her very defensive and always too "busy" so to start a chc would be asking the world. Mum does not have a social worker and is self funded.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Put it in Writing, You'd like Mrs so and so assessed for continuing Health Care Funding.

Have you yourself looked at the initial assessment tool? Basically, dos she stand a chance of getting it?

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
An I she has to have complex, challenging and unpredictable behaviour.
There's 11 categories and a twelfth blank one for anything else.

Look for a DST assessment on Google. Best to look through it first yourself to see if you think she might qualify.

If your mum is easily managed despite having severe dementia it might be refused.
Have you looked at your mums notes.
See what they have recorded.

If there's instances of where she's been aggressive and lashes out of staff and other residents then definitely ask for an assessment

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
you qualify for contiuing care if you are admitted to hospital under section - my dad now qualifies

Sorry but I don't think that's right. If you're discharged from hospital whilst under section 3 of the mental health act you automatically get funding under section 117 of the local government act, that's different to CHC as far as I know.
K

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
you qualify for contiuing care if you are admitted to hospital under section - my dad now qualifies

Most people are initially sectioned under section 2. You only get state help if you are moved to a section 3. (s117 aftercare). I think I am correct in saying most people do not move to a section 3.

Annii is asking about NHS Continuing Healthcare which is a different path to getting funded care.

Last edited:

Florence.

Nov 7, 2012
Sorry but I don't think that's right. If you're discharged from hospital whilst under section 3 of the mental health act you automatically get funding under section 117 of the local government act, that's different to CHC as far as I know.
K

Hi Kevini. I Attended a meeting to discuss CHC while acting as Guardian for a friends husband. I know you have to fight tooth and nail for it but the sister in the NHS psychiatric ward where he was assessed said if he's sectioned under section 3 and remains under section 3 he automatically qualifies for CHC. They didn't keep him on section 3 of course and he was taken off section and entered care home fully self funded. He's in the late stages of Alzheimer's so all the family can do it keep applying.

CCGcrusher

Aug 24, 2016
Thank you. My problem is the first step. I know the care home manager will be involved but I find her very defensive and always too "busy" so to start a chc would be asking the world. Mum does not have a social worker and is self funded.
You can apply for CHC-funding, on your mother's behalf, if you have Power of Attorney. If not and your mother is well enough to sign a form, you can fill in the application and get her to sign it.