CONTINUING PROBLEMS AT CARE HOME ... I am at the end of my tether!!

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hello All. I need to post this as the CH where mum is a continuous joke. For months weeks the phones have been a problem where they continually ring no one answers. I have complained by email and the reply I get is "The phones don't work in the way you would expect'. I was under the impression that phones only work one way ie/ they ring and someone answers. Sorry to be so sarcastic. I even missed a visit one week as the CH took a while to come back to me. They have said to email instead of phoning re: visits but sometimes that does not work. I've been wanting to speak to my mum for the last week but not got through!! This is really frustrating me. A few days ago I received an email to say the CH is in lockdown due to covid. This is the second time in the space of a few months. I really hope my mum is ok.... I feel like there are too many issues with this CH and I'm thinking whether it would be a good idea if mum moved to another home where they actually answer the phone and I could possibly speak to her over the phone too. This home seems to have too many negatives and maybe poss find one that is closer for me to visit. I just don't know would this disrupt mum? But I can't go on like this not being able to speak to the CH for days or my mum .... Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Roman223 I think I’d be looking at other carehomes. The one where my dad was almost always answered the phone so I could always check he was ok even if I wasn’t there.
They knew who the residents were and I had a good relationship with the manager.

I’m not sure if I’d been able to speak to dad on the phone as he was unable to understand phones by the time he went into the home but I always felt I could trust them to look after him. It sounds to me as though you’ve lost that trust.

This was pre-covid so I realise things are more difficult these days. Hopefully someone using the carehome system now will be along soon with an opinion but the lack of communication would make me uneasy.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Answering the phone is pretty basic. OK, it's fair enough at meal times, maybe, if they're rushed off their feet, but they would know this and tell you not to ring then. Not being able to contact them at other times is inexcusable if it's an ongoing situation. Telling you the phones don't work 'as you would expect,' is plainly ridiculous.

If they are so short-staffed they can't even answer the phone, I'd be wondering what else they're not doing that they should be, and whether the residents' care is suffering as a result.

It sounds like you've been nice and polite (probably through gritted teeth!) and emailed instead, pointed out your issues to the manager, etc, but things haven't improved. I'm sure it is incredibly difficult for them, especially during a covid lockdown and probably staff off sick too, but they are clearly unable to cope and/or operate safely in this situation and that would concern me greatly. So I agree it may be wise to consider moving your mum.

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
Unsure how far you are from the CH but if it was me , I'd be knocking on the door until someone comes and gives me an explanation. The problem we have is we're too polite and don't want to cause a fuss. At the end of the day, she's your mum and you're obviously very caring but at the end of your tether.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Answering the phone is pretty basic. OK, it's fair enough at meal times, maybe, if they're rushed off their feet, but they would know this and tell you not to ring then. Not being able to contact them at other times is inexcusable if it's an ongoing situation. Telling you the phones don't work 'as you would expect,' is plainly ridiculous.

If they are so short-staffed they can't even answer the phone, I'd be wondering what else they're not doing that they should be, and whether the residents' care is suffering as a result.

It sounds like you've been nice and polite (probably through gritted teeth!) and emailed instead, pointed out your issues to the manager, etc, but things haven't improved. I'm sure it is incredibly difficult for them, especially during a covid lockdown and probably staff off sick too, but they are clearly unable to cope and/or operate safely in this situation and that would concern me greatly. So I agree it may be wise to consider moving your mum.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Thank you Jaded 'n'faded! My gut says move her but I don't want to upset her! Although I am not altogether happy with the home! The last time I visited there was a very strong foul urine smell all the way down the corridors (sorry to be so abrupt) which I did mention to one of the senior carers and she replied "Oh does it" and that was it. On the same day I noticed that mum must have had a toilet accident in the bathroom as there was a mess which mum could not clear properly herself but had done. I mentioned this to the carer and she said mum must have tried to clean it herself but thst a cleaner would be eventually coming! The bathroom was in an unhygenic state. I have taken photo's and will send these to the SW! Sorry to go on - but it really got to me - CH'S cost enough. I just wonder how long the bathroom was in that state before it got cleaned. Thank you all for you replies.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Unsure how far you are from the CH but if it was me , I'd be knocking on the door until someone comes and gives me an explanation. The problem we have is we're too polite and don't want to cause a fuss. At the end of the day, she's your mum and you're obviously very caring but at the end of your tether.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Thank you Harky. I live quite a distance from the home and it is bad enough not seeing mum that often but not being able to talk to her also is not great! The CH have said not to ring during meal times and other specific times but even if I avoid these times the phone is not answered.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My partner is in a temporary nursing home and they seem to be so sort staffed and rather over worked by one resident in particular who wanders, claims things as hers that are clearly not. I share your frustration about nobody answering phones. Can you send another email saying, politely but firmly, that you are still not happy and would like to speak to the manager in person.
Good luck @Roman223

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
At my mother in laws care home I politely mentioned there was a mark on her bedroom carpet….whoosh off they went to deal with it…bathroom can get dirty but mother in law can do that at any visit.
One of the reasons my daughters chose the home was because it didn’t smell at all!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
its easier to clean it than leave it. we didnt have a cleaner, the care staff cleaned any accidents up, changed their clothes etc. even if they are short staffed, some jobs are more of a priority and its infection control as well. dignity, privacy and respect