continuing nhs care

bernie

Jul 28, 2005
south london
I just found out that a relative of mine has managed to get back £20k+ in relation to his father who had vascular dementia.

Whilst I do not know the full details of his case, I certainly feel that it is worth pursuing this option for everyone who has a relative with advanced dementia and getting legal advise if appropriate, as the sums involved are quite considerable and people are loosing their homes and everything that they have worked for all there lives.

bernie

Jul 28, 2005
south london
Norman said:
Bernie
this is very very interesting,can you get the full details?
Many people would be interested.
Norman

I'm not really in contact with him and just met him at his father's funeral,.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
bernie said:
I just found out that a relative of mine has managed to get back £20k+ in relation to his father who had vascular dementia.

Whilst I do not know the full details of his case, I certainly feel that it is worth pursuing this option for everyone who has a relative with advanced dementia and getting legal advise if appropriate, as the sums involved are quite considerable and people are loosing their homes and everything that they have worked for all there lives.

Hi Bernie

I have read up a lot on this and am considering doing it but I believe it to be very difficult. Also legal advice costs money :eek:

cathy a

Sep 18, 2006
Continuing care

Hi, my mum died nearly three years ago after an 8 year battle with what was diagnosed in the early days as vascular dementia. In the last two years she spent one year in residential care and one in a nursing home. The family had to sell her home to finance this.
After her death i was so incensed about her treatment and refusal of the NHS to even contemplate continuing care, thai i decided to try and do something about it.
The whole period is quite fuzzy as i was still grieving but, and it took a year, i managed to get a refund from the PCT for £6,000, that is the fees for the nursing home for the last 3 months of mums life.
It is possible and i didnt really know what i was doing and had no legal advice.
I firstly wrote a letter that was suggested on i think the Help the Aged site to my PCT complaining about my mums treatment.
THey wrote and said that they had investigated and there was no case but i could appeal to the ombudsman.
This i did and was eventually asked to a meeting by the PCT to discuss mums case.
If you have the chance , do go, i think it makes a difference.
Unfortunately, the fact my mother couldnt do a thing for herself in the nursing home didnt seem to matter, but when it was mentioned that my mother devloped bed sores the discussion changed and that was what eventually the PCT gave a refund for.
Sorry its so long winded and i realise it might not help a lot of dementia sufferers but it is worth a try especially if their condition deteriorates.
Best wishes
Cathy
ps Mum was in the high band of nursing care.

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
Information on NHS Funding

Hi,

Try this web site it has a lot of useful information on NHS Continuing care funding, I found the site excellent for fighting my Fathers case in 2005, and will be definatley going down that line when my Mother who has VD/AD needs to go into nursing care.

WWW.************

Kaz.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
kazlou said:
Hi,

Try this web site it has a lot of useful information on NHS Continuing care funding, I found the site excellent for fighting my Fathers case in 2005, and will be definatley going down that line when my Mother who has VD/AD needs to go into nursing care.

WWW.************

Kaz.

Did you win your father's case? I have said I am going to do this since my mum went into residential care nearly 2 years ago but am not sure I have the stamina! In those 2 years my father died, my son was diagnosed with diabetes and there have been problems at work. I also made a formal complaint about my mum's treatment in the first 'care' home. (I have posted elsewhere about the complaint but haven't had time to update on that).

It's not that I don't think I can write the necessary letters, go to meetings etc it's just whether I can face it all.

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
Hi Noelphobic,

Yes we did win my father case, it wasn't easy but we felt he was entitled to it.
He had suffered a severe stroke and had to be fed via a p.e.g direct into his stomach, he couldn't speak was double incontinent and the only movement he had was a small amount in his left arm, he was 92 years old had fought for his country in the 2nd World War, and worked and paid taxes all his life, and he was expected to pay for his care of £950 .p.w out of his and my mothers savings/house. he was awarded the high band nursing care 0f £129.00 p.w approx. which wouldn't go very far towards the costs.
We were awarded the funding finally and he went into a nursing home where he stayed for 11 weeks before he died, during this time he was in hospital for about 4 weeks of that time and you are still expected to pay the nursing home costs.
Mum will be needing a nursing home very soon (especially after the day we have had today) and I will fight her case for funding yet again. !!!!!.

Kaz