Continuing Heath Care

Debby Short

May 29, 2008
Near Heathrow Airport
Sorry if this has been asked before..........

On Wednesday my mum's case for CHC was put the to panel (mum is 65 and in last stages of AZ, and has been in hospital 'having assessment' for 8 weeks). The week before her case had been deferred, and someone from the panel had visited mum.

Last Friday Dad was told mum could now go into a nursing home but it had to be one with an EMI unit.

To cut a long story short, there are only 2 in the area, and he liked the one nearest to him (it ticks all the boxes, thanks to a previous thread). But also yesterday mum was granted CHC.

So where do we go from here? If mum goes into the home and the funding is not in place what happens - Will SS pay and top up with mum's pension and then refund when funding is in place?

I have told dad to wait until he gets the letter confirming the funding and then take a copy to the home.

Any advise would be most welcomed.

Debby
xxxxxxxxx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Dear Debbie,

I would phone up the social worker involved - she will be the one who was at the conference you mention. As long as she confirms this is the case then go ahead and make arrangements. Ken went into his Care Home and I had no letter confirming that he would be fully funded. It took two months to actually get one sent to me.

If your social worker confirms this is the case and you have got Continuing Care Funding, then contact the home and arrange a day for admission to the home. Then phone the SW again and let her know the start date. You can also let the Home manager know the social worker's name and they are then free to phone and confirm for themselves.

My very best wishes go to you in the move. My husband has settled as well as he can and I know that he is safe and being well looked after. I can't say he is happy there as of course he wants to be home with me but I can say that compared to being on a hospital asasessment ward, he is certainly in a much better place than he was.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Debbie,

The chosen Care Home has a letter sent to them. A copy will be sent to you.

As for the other financial matters if you phone Alzheimer's Head Office and ask for the Legal Department they will help.

It does take a while for paper work to come through but that is only in my personel experience.

Best wishes
Christine

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Hi Debby,

My Dad went straight from hospital to a CH. He is not self funding but no decision had been made about CC when he arrived at the NH, in fact it was not until we moved him to the second NH that he was finally assessed and given CC. It was then backdated to his discharge from hospital date.

Good luck hope you get the CC.

Helen