Continuing Healthcare Funding

Mum's Son

Oct 6, 2013
West Midlands
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has experience of the process of applying for Continuing Healthcare funding for their loved one? Seven years after diagnosis and almost five after moving into a residential home my Mum is in the advanced stage of dementia. Since then we have self funded her care but a few months ago the manager of the home suggested that we apply for funding as she felt Mum met all the criteria.

The process has been long and at times I've felt that it's been intentionally so - maybe driven by local authority cost challenges? Last week I was told that she did not qualify for funding because her needs were being met in the residential home. I challenged this, explaining that my understanding was that whether needs are met is irrelevant - it is instead whether those needs are present. I also questioned the assessment itself and after discussing the individual criteria it became clear that some key considerations had been missed and the DN and Social Worker agreed to undertake the assessment again later this week. One of those factors is that Mum is permanently catheterised and requires regular visits from DN's to re-catheterise along with occasional visits to hospital as they are not always able to do this successfully.

I received a further notification from them today advising that if the claim is successful they may insist that she is moved to a home with a resident nurse as the costs of providing ongoing DN care would be "taken into consideration". This feels like blackmail to me - continue to pursue funding and they'll force a move or drop the request and they will in turn drop the suggestion of a move.

Moving would be a huge upheaval for Mum and I'm convinced it may be the beginning of the end. I fear she would be gone within weeks.

Does anyone know whether the local authority / medical professionals can impose a move of home in this way?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
If your mother does qualify it will be because she has nursing needs over and above those which can be fulfilled by the general nursing care.

As it is the NHS who will be funding it, the past delay is unlikely to have been due to the LA and it will be the CHC team who will have the final say over where she lives not the LA.

It is usually funded in a Nursing home for obvious reasons so I don't think blackmail comes into it although cost does of course. However it sometimes can be in a care home or even in one's
own home.
You can try protesting on the grounds that a move would prove detrimental
to your mother's health but I'd wait to see if she qualifies first.

Muff

Apr 19, 2015
funding

Hi I am just starting this process with my Dad as he has become very unstable over the last few weeks. Constant strokes and unpredictable behavior. The questions I have asked seemed to always come back to the home the resident is in. Some homes do not want residents only on funding. My father is paying £1200 a week at his home. The continuing care funding will only be £600 if he doesnt pay the difference I am sure he will have to leave. I am sure I read on the website that explains the details says the NHS can decide to move someone but they say its about their care but I am sure price is the main reason.
All I know that I am struggling to cope with just seeing my Dad suffering like this and this constant need to sort out paper work just makes the whole situation worse. This is an awful situation to experience.

katek

Jan 19, 2015
Hi I am just starting this process with my Dad as he has become very unstable over the last few weeks. Constant strokes and unpredictable behavior. The questions I have asked seemed to always come back to the home the resident is in. Some homes do not want residents only on funding. My father is paying £1200 a week at his home. The continuing care funding will only be £600 if he doesnt pay the difference I am sure he will have to leave. I am sure I read on the website that explains the details says the NHS can decide to move someone but they say its about their care but I am sure price is the main reason.
All I know that I am struggling to cope with just seeing my Dad suffering like this and this constant need to sort out paper work just makes the whole situation worse. This is an awful situation to experience.

Hi

Having twice experienced what you are going through, I really sympathise. Also, the whole issue of the unfair pricing structure of care homes is a particular bugbear of mine, and there was a recent discussion of this on here a few months ago.

There are a couple of things you don't mention. Is it a Residential Home or a Nursing Home where your father is? Are they coping with him, and are you happy with it? (I assume so, as you sound as if you don't want him to move).

Assuming your father were to get CHC, you say that it would only cover half of the full Care Home fees, meaning your father would have to top up the rest. Wrong as this system is, wouldn't that still be better than him paying the whole whack as he is now?

If the Care Home are coping, he will be able to stay. However, if it comes to the point where they cannot cope with him (regardless of how he is funded), he would have to move somewhere more suitable anyway.

I hope it works out in his favour.

Mumsmate

Sep 9, 2015
Who decides

I have power of attorney. For my mum and they want to live her yo EMI nursing home. I a, looking currently. However I am having pressure put on me to hurry this. I was only told last week. Can they move my mum without my say so? Is a time fram usual for this type of thing?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"My father is paying £1200 a week at his home. The continuing care funding will only be £600 if he doesnt pay the difference I am sure he will have to leave."

Is it possible to pay top-up fees for NHS continuing healthcare?

No, it is not possible to top up NHS continuing healthcare packages, like you can with local authority care packages.
The only way that NHS continuing healthcare packages can be topped up privately is if you pay for additional private services on top of the services you get from the NHS. These private services should be provided by different staff and preferably in a different setting.

Scroll down
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/pages/nhs-continuing-care.aspx#faq

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23