Continuing Healthcare Funding

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes.
Much to my surprise, and delight we have been awarded Continuing Healthcare funding. This is notoriously difficult to get, and the news couldn’t have come at a better time as life is pretty stressful. So a care plan now has to be agreed and put in place, and as I understand it, the care plan should aim to stabilise things.
Now here’s the rub: there will be a review of funding in 3 months time and if things have stabilised funding will be withdrawn. My concern is that if the funding is withdrawn then things will most definitely deteriorate again. It feels like a catch twenty-two situation.
Has anyone had experience of of Continuing Healthcare funding and can reassure me?

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Much to my surprise, and delight we have been awarded Continuing Healthcare funding. This is notoriously difficult to get, and the news couldn’t have come at a better time as life is pretty stressful. So a care plan now has to be agreed and put in place, and as I understand it, the care plan should aim to stabilise things.
Now here’s the rub: there will be a review of funding in 3 months time and if things have stabilised funding will be withdrawn. My concern is that if the funding is withdrawn then things will most definitely deteriorate again. It feels like a catch twenty-two situation.
Has anyone had experience of of Continuing Healthcare funding and can reassure me?
Firstly, congratulations on finding the golden ticket!! As you say, notoriously difficult to get this funding. I have no personal experience, but my neighbour's father initally got funding, which was later withdrawn, when he became less mobile, and was deemed to need less care. Make of that what you will!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
It will be reviewed at three months and then annually. My husband was awarded CHC and one to one care 24 hours a day. After two years he was less mobile and CHC continued but the one to one was reduced to 12 hours a day. Once he was immobile the one to one was stopped. He had CHC for the four years he was in the nursing home. Alzheimer’s affected him very badly and he had other health issues too.

I was at all his evaluations and involved in the discussions. .

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
You haven't said whether your loved one will be at home or in a care home. If at home, then it is important to keep a diary and take photos of anything that might support the continuance of the CHC when the review comes up. If in a care home with no/restricted visiting, regularly impress upon the home manager and care leader the importance of accurate care records, particularly anything relevant to CHC, such as falls, bruises, behavioural episodes etc. And keep a record of any relevant feedback provided to you. See Regulation 17 at page 80 of this CQC guidance document regarding care homes' record keeping obligations.

Attachments

• Guidance for providers on meeting the fundamental standards and on CQC’s enforcement powers.pdf
    724 KB · Views: 394

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
You haven't said whether your loved one will be at home or in a care home. If at home, then it is important to keep a diary and take photos of anything that might support the continuance of the CHC when the review comes up. If in a care home with no/restricted visiting, regularly impress upon the home manager and care leader the importance of accurate care records, particularly anything relevant to CHC, such as falls, bruises, behavioural episodes etc. And keep a record of any relevant feedback provided to you. See Regulation 17 at page 80 of this CQC guidance document regarding care homes' record keeping obligations.
Absolutely right, make a note of anything where nursing input was necessary.
Kindred

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
[/QUOTE

Thanks. My husband is being cared for at home at the moment. I do keep a detailed diary, but have never thought to keep photos. I’ll add these. What a burden it all is. ☹

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Firstly, congratulations on finding the golden ticket!! As you say, notoriously difficult to get this funding. I have no personal experience, but my neighbour's father initally got funding, which was later withdrawn, when he became less mobile, and was deemed to need less care. Make of that what you will!
Well done for getting it! I don't know where to start if I want to try and get it for mum. I did ask the question to SS and she seemed to think that mum was not entitled to it. How would I check this it for myself? What are the health care needs to benefit getting an award like this!?