Continuing Healthcare (CHC) - Northern Ireland

realist1234

Oct 30, 2014
Hi

Just wondered if anyone else had any experience in applying for this for a relative with Alzheimer's in Northern Ireland? When my mum went into a nursing home about 3 years ago, I was told at the time by the local Health Trust that CHC did not apply to NI, but when I subsequently wrote to the NI Dept of Health, lo and behold they said it did indeed apply here. At the time I did not think my mum would have qualified, but her cognition has definitely gone down (says very little now etc) and she is now unable to walk (sits in a chair with wheels on and carers have to use wheelchair at other times). Previously she was able to walk with a rolator.

If anyone in NI (or anyone else!) could advise of the process for applying and if they were successful. My main concern is that I wouldnt want to stress my mum out with any 'assessments'.

Thanks

Peter

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

realist1234

Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for this. Unlike the rest of the Uk, it seems in NI there is no national guidance on CHC, and given that only 17 people have been assessed positively since 2006, Health Trusts are determined not to award it!

"In Northern Ireland NHS CHC is not straightforward and is currently difficult to access. If
you think you or someone you know might be eligible for continuing healthcare and
need support, contact Age NI Advice Line on 0808 808 7575."

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB-NI/advice/Age_NI_CHC_Factsheet.pdf?dtrk=true

There does not appear to be a national system and various trusts use different criteria.

>>>THIS<<< document outlines the position in May 2014.

monday12

Mar 26, 2012
Yes I have been through this process in NI with a relative who is in a nursing home in NI. We weren't successful as it doesn't really exist there though they say it does. Pm me and I can tell you more.